Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Chinese Soul

I'm sick! Oh but I have no one to blame except myself; I'm sure I must have let my guard down at some point in the past week and now I'm paying for it with a head cold and congestion.

Anyway, when sick, I have a go-to ginger chicken soup that always warms my insides up and makes me feel better.

Here's the simple recipe:

1 carton (almost 1 L) organic chicken broth
2-3 cups water
1 giant ginger root, peeled and sliced
6 chicken thighs, skinless + boneless + sliced
soy sauce
sugar
salt
pepper
cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
spinach (optional)

1) Bring broth, water, and ginger root to a boil
2) Season chicken thighs to taste (salt, pepper, sugar, soy) and add a bit of corn starch and mix. The corn starch makes the meat smoother somehow.
3) When the soup begins to boil, add the chicken thighs and return to a boil.
4) When the soup boils again, add the beaten egg and stir; it will break apart into little strands in the soup
5) Continue on a low boil for 25 minutes; the soup will reduce a bit at this point
6) Right before you serve, add spinach. It will cook in the hot soup.

Easy, right? SO easy I actually make this soup 2x/month, and *I* am one who famously declares that I'm too busy to cook. It's *that* easy. Plus, the ginger root is like a magic remedy for my cold. The spiciness of the soup (dependent on how large your ginger root actually is) is appealing to Hubbs too; he eats it almost as often as I do!

Now, I can't claim any rights to this recipe. I have no idea who invented it but I was taught how to make this soup by my chiropractor's wife (who happens to be his receptionist). I'm so glad for the recommendation though, because right now drinking the soup is the only time when I actually feel good during my sick spell.

Can't wait to shake this congestion, but in the meantime...bon appetit!

0 comments: