Sunday, April 03, 2011

Cookielicious The Easy Mrs. L Way

I am not a cook or a baker, and I don't pretend to be one. However, on occasion I feel just the teensiest bit of guilt about not using all of the lovely appliances, small appliances, and kitchen gadgets in my cupboards and drawers. So, every blue moon I drag out the ol' tools (actually, they're more like *new* tools) and I make a noble (or Nobel) attempt.


Today was such a day. In two weeks' of spring break, I hadn't lifted a finger to feed my Hubbs. I figured I should at least try, sort of. My thoughts drifted back to a time just mere weeks ago, when my boss shared her lemon cookies with me, and I was astounded by how delicious they were. When I asked her about her recipe, she told me just how easy it was to make these cookies using generic cake mix and a few other ingredients. I know she repeated it to me like three times, but for the life of me I couldn't recall what those "other" ingredients were.

So I turned to Google, did a bunch of research (more than anyone should justifiably do for the sake of cookies), combined several recipes, and ended up making some of the most delicious yellow cake mix cookies Hubbs has ever had. Not only did he lick the batter off the mixer, spatula, and bowl, but he also ate three cookies right after they cooled.

The ones I made ended up tasting like Snickerdoodle cookies, but I think you can use any flavour of cake mix and make cookies of all varieties. Here's the recipe:

1 box yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup softened butter
white sugar & cinnamon (to roll the cookie dough in)

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix the cake mix, eggs, and butter in a mixer on low. The batter is ready when it's all stiff...like cookie dough. WARNING: It will stick to the mixer spokes, so get ready to scrape with your spatula!
3. Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough into the cinnamon sugar mix and roll around, making a nice spherical ball.
4. Place on a non-stick cookie sheet (I used one pan with a silicon mat, and the other I sprayed with cooking spray) and flatten the ball out a bit to make it cookie-shaped.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown on the sides, or you lose patience. I baked the regular-sized ones for 8.5 minutes and the giant ones for 10.
6. Cool on the sheet for a minute or two and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool and harden.

Voila! Semi-soft, delicious cookies.

It was super easy to do, even for me (that's saying a lot). Enjoy! :)

1 comments:

Vanilla Con said...

I likey! I'd like it even more if when you visit you'd demonstrate how to make the cookies (i.e. make them for me)! LOL :) I will have to give it a try sometime!