Monday, March 07, 2011

Leaving Early Makes Me Late


Sounds backwards, no? But it's true. In my nearly two years of teaching in Richmond and living downtown, I have learned that it does not pay to leave school early, unless I want to leave at 3:30 (which doesn't happen unless I have an appointment that I am rushing to).


If I leave at 4:45-5:30 (which are respectable departure times from workplaces), I am doomed to be stuck in ugly post-work traffic, jacking my commute time somewhere north of 60 minutes. It also jacks my blood pressure north of normal too. Not great.


If, however, I leave sometime closer to 6:00 p.m., I can get home in 30-40 minutes, which begs the question, "Why leave early?" It really doesn't pay and I end up taking forever to get home, and those minutes are precious ones better spent being productive at work, right?


So in case anyone wonders why I stay so late and seem to be such a workaholic, there honestly is method to my seeming madness. It's simply practical, and as a hard-working, first-generation native Canadian-Chinese person, practical is sort of my middle name. ;)




0 comments: