Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Miss My Childhood


When we were kids, my sibs and I "chased" a lot of Cantonese serials. That is, we watched many mini-series dramas that were produced and shot in Hong Kong. One that we particularly enjoyed was the 1982-1983 version of Legend of the Condor Hero.

I happened to hear the theme song to this show playing in the Chinese supermarket last week, and it has been on my mind ever since. I decided to Google the show and its actors these past two nights, and somehow, in listening to the songs and watching the accompanying Youtube videos, I've become quite nostalgic for the childhood that has long since passed.

I'm not sure what it is about this show in particular that has triggered my emo-stalgia, but discovering the ravages of time on the actors and reading about the premature passing of the main actress (Barbara Yung) has left me sort of veklempt. I miss my childhood, and the simple lazy days when we used to sprawl on our bellies on the carpet and watch shows like this on VHS. I miss believing that I could actually *be* one of the characters, and have super kung fu powers, and fight bad guys off without even breaking a sweat. I guess I miss the innocence of youth that I once possessed; when did I lose it?

This summer, I think I will pick up the DVD to this show and watch all 59 episodes in a marathon. I might even do it sprawled on my belly on a carpet somewhere.

0 comments: