I have always enjoyed certain parts of Halloween, but as a Christ follower, I've wrestled (and continue to wrestle) with why I am bothered by other parts of the day. I love the free candy and the experience of trick-or-treating (both as the receiver and as the giver), and I am a big fan of playing dress-up. I don't love the demonic or occultic or otherwise-creepy parts of Halloween and I'm not fond of the fact that the day is associated with fear and death, neither of which I celebrate and both of which Jesus conquered on the cross.
1. What is your favourite written work of horror fiction?
Does the Haunted Mansion choose-your-own-adventure book count? I haven't really explored this particular genre of literature.
2. What is your favourite work of science fiction/fantasy?
Devil on my Back by Monica Hughes.
3. Who is your favourite monster?
Edward Cullen ;)
4. What is your favourite horror movie?
I don't watch scary movies.
5. What horror movie gives you the most chills?
See previous answer.
6. What character from any horror film would you most like to play?
Does Twilight count? Because I'd want to be Bella.
7. Freddy or Jason?
8. What is your favourite Halloween treat?
It used to be Kit-Kats and rocket candies. Nowadays, I'm a fan of those yummy Pillsbury sugar cookies with the pumpkins on them (but they're not good for me so I did not buy any cookie dough this Halloween).
9. Ghosts or goblins?
I don't believe in either. But how about vegetarian vampires?
10. Friendly-faced jack-o’-lantern or scary one?
I like the intricately carved pumpkins with scenes on them. Those are usually friendly scenes.
11. What is your scariest encounter with the paranormal?
12. Do you believe in ghosts? Why or why not?
Nope. Once you die, you enter into an eternity that is either Heaven/Paradise or Hell/Hades. Earth is not one of your choices.
13. Would you rather be a zombie, alien, or psycho?
I would rather be an alien in this world ;)
14. Favorite Halloween costume?
One day I'd like to dress up as Jasmine from Aladdin. So far I haven't had a favourite costume, mostly because I haven't ever bothered to invest a lot of money on a thoroughly-convincing costume. I did like my Little Red Riding Hood get-up though.
15. Best thing about Halloween?
The excited little faces that go trick-or-treating.
16. Person in your family who most likes Halloween (not counting yourself)?
I think it's my mother-in-law.
17. Are you superstitious?
Not at all.
18. Share an unusual Halloween story.
I don't have one.
19. What did you do for Halloween as a kid?
I dressed up and went trick-or-treating with my mom and my siblings. In hindsight, my costumes sucked and I hope that when I have kids, I will pick better costumes for them than vampires and princesses.
20. What’s the best Halloween party that you’ve attended?
I haven't actually attended that many, so it's hard to select a "best."
21. What is the worst treat to get when trick-or-treating?
Peanuts in the shell, raisins, and those nasty Halloween candies in the orange and white wrappers.
22. How many Halloween, Friday the 13th, or Nightmare on Elm Street movies combined do you have on dvd?
None. I think the scariest DVD I own is Planet of the Apes (though technically, that belongs to Hubbs).
23. Lamest costume you have worn on Halloween?
I'm pretty sure it was the princess dress, which was covered up during trick-or-treating by my very puffy winter coat. I think one year I didn't even dress up, and that's lame.
24. Have you ever had nightmares about a scary movie character chasing you?
Not that I can remember.
25. Strangest Halloween custom you’ve heard of?
The truth is, there is nothing stranger than the current practices of Halloween. To someone from another part of the world, try explaining the following:
- carving up a giant orange squash and putting it on your doorstep/porch with a candle in it
- dressing up like some ridiculous character that you aren't, complete with wigs and make-up
- knocking on strangers' doors and asking for food or candy
Have a safe Oct. 31st, everyone!