Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fatty Fatty 2 x 4!


I have no idea what that old saying means; I always thought 2 x 4's were those skinny planks of wood that people use to make houses. Shows you how much I know about manual work and construction! ;)

Anyway, my sisters Vanilla Con & Superstar Jo challenged me to a friendly Biggest Loser - Sisters Edition in prep for our cruise a month from now. It was a great idea, and a nice way to be held accountable. Unfortunately, I don't like being on "diets" and I don't like forcing myself to exercise. Worst of all, I hate stepping on a scale. I didn't even like it when I was a skinny minny size 4. I especially hate it now when I'm not.

However, I sucked it up and did it anyway, stepping on both my digital scale and my Wii Fit board to measure my weight. Both corroborated the other's number. The verdict? Ugly. I lied when I said I can handle the truth. I DON'T WANT THE TRUTH!! I CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

Of course, nothing motivates you to move your fat a$$ more than seeing such a horrific number in TWO different places. In fact, I was so motivated that I actually joined one of those free online calorie-counting journal things to chart the grub I inhale every day. Enter MyFitnessPal, a non-judgy "pal" that tells me how many calories I've consumed, breaks down the food into carb/protein/fat categories, and also factors in my exercise for the day.

I've only used it for like half a day, but so far, so good. I am really loving the user-friendliness of the website, and appreciate all the clipart-esque iconography that helps me navigate around the place. If you look way down at the bottom of the blog, on the right, I've even posted a little "ticker" (is this considered a widget?) that charts my progress. As you can see, I have a ways to go before I hit my goal. That said, having a pretty little ticker with a flower that moves to the right tracking my progress is just that extra bit of incentive that makes it a little more inspiring of a journey.

Of course, I suppose all of this is moot if I end up getting pregnant before I hit my goal. Until then, however, I sure would love to see the numbers drop, and along with it my sizes!

5 comments:

tejanamama said...

I don't know what size you want to be, but i highly advise you lose some before the bambino happens if at all possible. be your best now cuz its harder to be your best pg and then afterwards when cooking healthy is the LAST thing on your mind! After two pgncies, I can vouch for less weight on your body before pgncy being easier! I had one super heavy and one where I was less heavy (yup, heavy both times!). The second time at my less heavy weight was MUCH better. I felt better about my body the whole pgncy and was proud of my belly. It was just entirely different!!!!! GOOD LUCK! with both endeavors! ;)

~Rain``` said...

I really hate the scale as well. Though, I step on it quite frequently, since I am paranoid about my weight. Though, I believe my scale lies to me since I am always heavier at the doctor's office. :)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

@tejanamama Of course it's easier when one is healthier and lighter..why do you think I'm actually trying this time?! ;) Otherwise I'd be licking a pralines-n-cream waffle cone right about now!

@Rain - I wish my scales would lie to me. Wanna trade? ;)

tejanamama said...

I had an pretty good time the first time so i didn't think it would make much difference. The best part was in how i felt about myself though...NOT in actual feelings. more pain the second time. BIG TIME. your body has done it so it does everything sooner=MORE PAIN throughout pgncy. unless you a lucky ass like a few ppl i know. ANyhoo...i carried weight differently which made me look/feel better. THIS IS HUGE since your emotions run rampant and you can hate your changing body sometimes when its gross or unattractive or you just have an off day.
I also gained less when I started lower. Don't know if its connected, but I think the good eating habits carried. I did splurge...shit...being pg is an excuse right? LOSE the weight later :) GOOD LUCK hon!

Linda said...

good luck! My friend used on online calorie counter and really helped her!