Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Excessive Optimism Lived Out


In my spare time, besides shopping and reading and blogging and all that other stuff that I like to do, I've added another hobby (much to Hubbs' dismay): contest-entries.

It started out innocently enough; my bro-in-law Space Max showed me a website where you could play a virtual VLT to try and win prizes. I played it for a long while but didn't win anything, but I started to get greedy and thought maybe if I entered in a lot of different contests and giveaways, that eventually I might win something. Since that day, I've become a bit of a contest junkie.

Have I won anything yet? No, but I did get a free pack of gum, travel-size bottles of Head & Shoulders shampoo and conditioner, and travel-sized Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner. I also received 3 free pregnancy pee tests that I'll be saving for a while (hopefully they don't expire), and I'm anticipating getting a few more freebies in the next couple of weeks. I don't even remember what I've signed up for anymore, so when a package arrives in the mail, it's like Christmas. I get incredibly excited. :)

Anyway, I thought I'd give you some insight into my dirty little hobby. It's innocuous enough; nobody gets hurt, and I'm careful not to sign up for a bazillion mail-out newsletters. Maybe one day I will win something, but in the meantime, it's fun to build my optimism every time I sign up for another contest!


3 comments:

karen said...

Ahaha, welcome to my addiction! Vinh can only shake his head :)

But hey, so far, I've won a bouquet of flowers, an Earls gift card and best of all, a Whirlpool washer & dryer!! Not bad!

tejanamama said...

washer and dryer? WOAH! awesome!

i love the little sample shampoos and stuff i get in the mail sometimes but its been a while since I have had a fun free prize or sample in the mail. Formula doesn't count since I don't use it! :) They give a ton of mom stuff away so you can look forward to signing up for that stuff too mrs l!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

@Karen - you are so lucky. I wish I could win something big, but so far, no luck! :(

@Tejanamama - You should sign up again when you have time (IF you have time). Those little shampoos are the best! I saw the bazillion mom contests out there but right now I feel disingenuous signing up for that stuff since I'm not a mom yet. I do look forward to throwing my name in the hat, but I also have to be picky cuz a lot of that stuff they give away isn't all that great either ;)