Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Best Burger In My World

... is the one that I make.  Well, for me, anyway; maybe you have your own personal favourites.  However, IMHO nothing beats a homemade burger, and it's 3x as awesome when said burger is made with healthy ingredients.  This tasty burger is easy to make, too, and sooooo delicious.  Here's my super yummy recipe:

1 lb. ground bison
1/2 large onion, chopped finely
2 slices whole wheat bread (moistened w/water)
1 large egg
salt & pepper to taste
sugar to taste
soy sauce to taste
1 T hot chili oil sauce (the oily kind, but drain the oil first)

Mix the first 4 ingredients, and season with salt, pepper, soy sauce, and sugar.  Add the hot chili oil sauce (the chilis from it, but drain away the oil) and mix again.  Make 4 large 1/4lb. patties, put on a rack over a pan, and bake for 35 minutes at 375F.

I use bread instead of oatmeal as a binder because I find that bread is more moist, and the resultant texture is far softer.  It offers a good balance to the otherwise-lean bison, which tends to get a bit rough after it has been cooked.  I also use the chili oil to give the burger a bit of kick, since Hubbs likes a bit of spice in his food.  The bit of oil in the chili oil sauce also gives an additional boost of moisture to the patty.  The finely chopped onions mixed in with the meat also flavours up the patty, and creates the most delicious aroma when it bakes in the oven.

I made these burgers a while back for Hubbs and today was a burger day again.  I made a special trip to the grocery store just so that I could get avocadoes, fresh hothouse tomatoes, spinach, and whole wheat buns for the burgers.  I also bought some slices of havarti.  

By the time we had lunch (yes this was for lunch), we were ravenously hungry (being ill has staved off our appetites for the past week but now it's back and raging).  It was absolutely heavenly biting into our burgers for the first time.  YUM.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my recipe.  I rarely cook as it is, and when I do I'm usually ripping off someone else's recipes.  This one's my own, a mish mash of my parents' recipe with a bit of my personal preferences tossed in, and it's one that's actually good.  

Summer's around the corner so it will be a good time for burger consumption on the patio or the deck.  Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! :)


2 comments:

karen said...

Mmm! Sounds good! Best burger buns I've had are from Superstore - they have these thin "burger first" buns. I hate regular buns, and use them mainly to keep my hands clean, but these are totally worthy of a good patty :)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Oooh...I've also seen "buns" that are really like panini pieces ..they're called "Thinini" and it's the same deal - thin carb "wrappers" for the patty. I should try them out. I'm more about the meat and the avocado and the bacon and the cheese than the bread anyway ;)