Wednesday, March 18, 2009

XKCD Read My Unconscious Mind

This cartoon by XKCD captures the essence of a majority of my anxiety dreams, aka nightmares.  It's a recurrent one that I have, where I've forgotten either to complete a project or study for an exam, and it's almost always in a university course that I need in order to graduate.  More often than not, this course is in History (called Social Studies in my dreams), or in English lit.  And just like the cartoon character, I have to talk myself out of the dream and into rational reality.  

Why exactly do we have anxiety dreams of this nature? What do they mean?  I haven't found enough commonality between real life events and when I have these dreams to be able to form a theory or correlate the dream with something happening in my life.  

Regardless, I always wake up from these with a cold sweat and a racing pulse, and it takes a bit for me to calm down and return to slumber, if at all.

Any thoughts on the meaning?  I'd love to hear your interpretations! ;)


8 comments:

~Rain``` said...

I've had this dream, or versions of it. I don't know about you but I think I know why I have them. I am a perfectionist. I pride myself in being very organized. I think through as many contingencies as I possibly can. My fear? That I will screw up somehow, that I will forget a very important detail, that I will fail... Does this description resonate with you?

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Hmm...I *am* a perfectionist, but I don't know that I've always had this dream when I had a project to complete or something to DO (in which case I'd have something to fail). I'm sure a deep-seated fear of failure is part of it, but I wonder if there is something else that triggers it...

Sylvana said...

I always thought that these dreams were just a general fear of not being prepared, about not really understanding what's going on. It could be about not being prepared for a specific project, but it could be anxiety about whether you are doing the things in life that you should, about not being connected enough, or just fear of not knowing.

Do you ever finish the test?

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Well, I *am* pretty anxious. ;) I NEVER finish the test in my dreams. My dream always takes place a day or week or hours before the event whether it's a test or a project. I never see what happens on the actual day because I always wake up in a tizzy before it gets to that point!

sideshow bob said...

In a way, I actually enjoy this dream when I have it. Just because it is *such* a relief when I wake up. Like a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. I walk around all day feeling like I dodged a bullet.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Good point, SB. I do feel pretty good once the hyperventilating subsides ;)

tejanamama said...

hate this dream!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have it often although I havent in the past LONG while!!! weird. I have it a few times every year at least. I try to find a correlation, but don't always (to things going on in my life at the time). I have a test, a project deadline, SOMETHING school related and it is unable to be completed. SOMETHING stops me and it really stresses me out!!!! Waking up is a pleasure from those dreams but the speed of my racing heart once I do wake is frightening! lol

OH and I am NOT a perfectionist :)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

LOL...you are a perfectionist in some ways, tejanamama...don't lie! ;) In my dreams there is no obstacle except that somehow I've forgotten to attend a semester's worth of classes, or forgotten to study, or didn't remember the project...it's awful.