Monday, March 30, 2009

What I Want To Do When I Meet Robert Pattinson



I read the sweetest little story about how a Canadian singer named Adaline ended up meeting Robert Pattinson, of Twilight fame.  I was touched by the story and by her interaction with him, although I'm a little chagrined that she decided to share her story on MySpace, potentially getting him into big bad trouble (since I think he was supposed to be somewhere else, outside of the country, this weekend).  Anyway, as you may have guessed, I'm a big fan of Robert Pattinson, but not in the crazed fan-wanting-to-jump-his-bones kind of way.

I think that it is hard to be in the public eye, and to have every move photographed and documented.  It is probably twice as hard to do this when you're just trying to figure yourself out, something I think I did for the greater part of my early 20's.  It is a thousandfold harder when you are the object of misplaced affection for underaged teenage fanatics who confuse you as an actor with the character(s) that you portray, and heap holy expectations on you that nobody on God's green earth could ever fulfill.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to live a day in the life of a celebrity.  Honestly, I'm glad that I don't have to; the public scrutiny and criticism, coupled with my own neurotic paranoias, would make me an utter basketcase.  It wouldn't be pretty ;)

Anyway, so Robert Pattinson and nearly all of the cast of New Moon are in my city, Van, shooting their movie right now.  In the past days and weeks since I discovered that they are here, I have wanted to meet him.  I have made that abundantly clear to just about anyone who will listen (my apologies to those of you who had to, especially Hubbs)!

However, I share Adaline's perspective on this guy as being, well, just a guy - a regular person who happens to work in film rather than in a school or in an office.  I do not have crazy illusions that he is in any way the same as the characters he has played, and to be honest, I liked him a whole lot better as a nerd in his made-for-TV movie, "The Bad Mother's Handbook," than I liked him as "Edward" in Twilight.  I have watched him in a couple of interviews, and have been very impressed with his groundedness and his intelligence, not to mention his multiple talents.  He has struck me as a very interesting and complex person, and also one who (so far) has been taking his newfound fame in stride.

And given these impressions, I would like to meet Robert Pattinson.  Not to take pictures with him or have him sign some part of my body or a framed picture, and certainly not for romantic reasons.  Not to hound him and make him super uncomfortable and not to use him to become famous or popular. 

Instead, I'd like to be his friend. I'd like to invite him to dinner with Hubbs & I (Hubbs thinks I'm crazy but he's not threatened and would be open to dinner guests), and I'd like to have a normal non-interviewy conversation with this young man.  I'd like to (if he was open to it) ask Robert Pattinson to join Hubbs & I at church; our church is so hipster-crowd-oriented that skinny jeans are practically the uniform, so I'm pretty sure that even someone who doesn't regularly attend church would be comfortable heading to the 5th Ave. Cinemas with us on a Sunday morning.  I'd like to be honest with Robert Pattinson (smoking is gross and our home is a smoke-free zone, thankyouverymuch), and not some butt-kissing sycophant who probably tells him how awesome he is every hour of every day.  I'd like to invite him to work out at my gym; the assistant manager there is uber cool (a DJ/musician by night) and would totally ensure the guy his privacy.

Anyway, that's what I want to do when (if?) I meet Robert Pattinson.  I don't know that I'll ever get that opportunity, but if I did, I would be true to my word.  No squealing or crazy fan behaviour here - just a gal who loves Jesus and who is happy to make a new friend with someone who probably needs a friend in this city. :)




1 comments:

Justice~! said...

You are a sweet woman! I am lucky to have you as my wife and Robert Pattison would be lucky to have you as a friend. =)