Thursday, March 26, 2009

Three on Thursday and the Death of Competence



So here's a meme I probably already did, but will complete again because my friend NorU sent it to me.

Three names I go by:
1. Mrs. Loquacious
2. Mrs. L
3. Ms. Loquacious (before I was married)

Three jobs I have had in my life
1. Go-kart Park Ice Cream Girl & Cashier (a brief one-month stint in my life)
2. Jenny Craig saleswhore (they call it a consultant but the truth is that they're only there to sell you food and memberships and if you stop buying the food, they don't want to consult with you anymore)
3. Teacher

Three places I have lived
1. Caronport
2. Edmonton
3. Hong Kong

Three favorite drinks
1. Ice tea
2. Coke Zero
3. Lava flows

Three TV shows that I watch
1. 24
2. American Idol (I just got into it two weeks ago)
3. All three C.S.I.'s

Three places I have been
1. Koh Samui, Thailand
2. Sexsmith, Alberta ;)
3. Indianapolis, IN

People that e- mail me regularly
1. Hubbs
2. Vanilla Con
3. Superstar Jo

Three of my favorite foods
1. Dad's shrimp dumplings (har gow)
2. Sashimi (esp. toro)
3. Ice cream

Three friends I think will respond
1. You
2. You
3. You know I hate this question.  Feel free to respond or not.  I will love you regardless.

Three things I am looking forward to
1. Hawaii at Christmas, especially a return to our honeymoon hotel in Kauai
2. Superstar Jo and SpaceMax coming to visit me in two weeks!!
3. Seattle on Saturday; roadtrips with Hubbs are awesome times for deep conversations :)


Now for the rant part: what happened to basic competence in the workplace?!?!  I understand that blue-collar service providers sometimes hate their jobs, and especially in the retail and food industries, there are a lot of minimum wage workers who don't bother to invest a load of effort into their work because, well, you get what you pay for, and their bosses pay crap.  Fine.  I get that.

I'm pretty sure that most white-collar professionals, on the other hand, are not making $7.00/hr.  The expectation for professional services is that there is a basic level of ability and intelligence that informs their work.  As such, bone-headed errors should not occur.  Errors such as, say, failing to type in the proper direct deposit banking information on one's tax return, when a void cheque is in front of your face.  That should be a no-brainer, and someone who is being paid for such services should be able to do this without any difficulty.  I mean, it's essentially copying numbers in front of your eyes.

So why is it, then, that my e-file refund return was sent to me today with a glaring error on my deposit information?  And not just a typo of a number, or an inversion of two numbers.  We're talking about the wrong bank account number AND the wrong institution number, after I provided not only the void cheque but another instruction sheet with the information detailed in giant 16-point font!

Indeed, there can be no explanation except that competence is dead.  I mourn its loss.


4 comments:

~Rain``` said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Incompetence in the workplace bothers me so much. And apathy. People just don't seem to care about their quality of work.

tejanamama said...

i think they took offence to the 16 point font and figured they'd mess with ya ;)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

@Rain - I wonder which is worse? Apathy (and competence) or incompetence due to a lack of skill?

@Tejanamama - you aren't at the hospital yet?! WTH?!?! And the 16-font wasn't meant to be condescending; I liked it better aesthetically because of the size of the envelope (9x12). Nothing like an imbalanced-looking note to uglify an envelope! ;)

tejanamama said...

i am just telling you how they might have taken it...not how you meant it!!! things are not always taken as intended!!!

NO HOSSY YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im due today. probably in the next day or two..things are slowly beginning...
emphasis on slowly