Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thankful Thursday and Other Tidbits

It's Thursday! :) It is also rainy and overcast and gray outside, so I will only be venturing out when I *have* to.  Unfortunately, that is sooner than later :(

Anyway, I found two memes I wanted to tackle on this dreary morning.  The first is an ABC meme about me; it's random and silly and fun to do.  Voila:

A is for your age:  27 a few times over ;)
B is for your burger of choice:  I like all burgers that are moist and have a good sauce on them.
C is for the car that you drive:  Honda Accord EX-L V6 2008
D is for dog's name:  I don't own any dogs, not even the stuffed animal variety.
E is for an essential item you use each day:  Toothbrush and glasses.
F is for your favorite television show:  CSI and 24 and on occasion, everything on FoodTV
G is for favorite game:  Tetris, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit, Scrabble, and Settlers of Catan
H is for hometown:  GP
I is for instruments played:  Piano, recorder, and violin.  The question didn't say "played well" ;)
J is for favorite juice:  Guava and lychee
K is for what you'd like to kick:  My nail-biting habit, and these pounds that won't let go!
L is for last restaurant you dined at:  Mandala Iki Asian Bistro
M is for your favorite muppet:  Miss Piggy!  Hubbs is my Kermie. :)
N is for number of piercings you have:  Four - two on each ear.
O is for overnight hospital stays:  One - food poisoning on Koh Samui, Thailand that landed me in their "international" hospital.  The view of the garden was lovely. 
P is for people you were with today:  Nobody. Hubbs is away and I'm alone...but I am seeing my acupuncturist later!
Q is for what you do in quiet times:  Read, watch TV, take a bubble bath, shop, cuddle w/Hubbs, nap, pray, suf the Net...
R is for regrets:  Not being more active as a teenager.
S is for status:  Married.  Middle class.  
T is for time you woke up today:  7:50 a.m.
U is for what you consider unique:  Everyone! God created each person to be different from everyone else!
V is for favorite vegetable:  Potato - is that a veg?  Asparagus, spinach, choy sum, bok choy, and lettuce.
W is for your worst habit:  Besides nail-biting, it's probably my not-exercising habit ;)
X is for x-rays you have had:  I don't remember what it was for.  Probably teeth.  I can't think of any others.
Y is for yummy food you ate today:  A toasted ham & swiss sandwich on whole-grain cranberry raisin bread.  Maybe sweet & sour pork later. :)
Z is for zodiac sign:  Not into it, but if you are, I am a Pisces born in the year of the Dragon.

The second is a Thankful Thursday meme, where I am to list several things for which I am thankful or grateful.  This is an easy one to do, and one that I could list on and on about, but I'm limited to 3 - 5 items.

1. Jesus Christ. - Without Him, I would be lost.  Without Him, I am an object of wrath.  Without Him, I cannot understand what it means to love, and have true joy.  He is the propitiation for my sins, and the One who bore my shame.  He is the One who transferred me from darkness into light.  He is my Friend and my Savior, my Life-giver.  He is my Number One.

2. Hubbs - He is my number two. :) He is my better half, my complement, my best friend this side of eternity.  He is the one who balances out my crazy, and he is the one whose love helps me understand the love of Christ more deeply.

3. Family - Both Hubbs & I have the best families ever.  Sure, there are occasional arguments and it's not always roses, but for the most part we are all bonded by love, and a fierce loyalty that engenders trust.  I'm very thankful for my siblings and their SO's, and my parents, and for Hubbs' parents, bro, and grandparents.  They all rock!

4. Church - Hubbs & I are so blessed to have found a church to call home.  We love Westside and we appreciate the way that this ministry has fixed their eyes and hearts on Jesus.  We love that this is a Bible-believing, God-fearing, people-loving community.  We can stand behind this fellowship of believers and feel called to join them in reaching others for the glory of God.

5. The Internet - I know this sounds really funny, but the Internet has been a blessing to us because it provides Hubbs with a livelihood (he is a software architect doing Web-based applications), and it provides people from all over the globe with an opportunity to read about and learn about Jesus.  It allows soldiers serving in Afghanistan to hear sermons every week, and it offers many Bible commentaries and translations to be accessed at the click of a mouse.  It is an amazing invention that has really transformed communication and community, allowing me to maintain relationships with friends from across the country and world.  I am very thankful for the Internet and for how quickly technology has advanced.

It is important to give thanks, not only at Thanksgiving, but always.  I have to say, these gratitude memes more than anything else really does help me shift my thinking back to one of appreciation and thankfulness.  Even though it's bleak and nasty outside, I have all the reason in the world to be joyful and thankful, because of the many things I am blessed with!

So, happy Thursday, and may your day be one of gratitude and thanks as well! :)




0 comments: