Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 - A Meme-ory


Well, happy 2009, folks! I can hardly believe Christmas is over, and already we're staring down the path of a new year.  They say that time flies when you're having fun, but I say that it flies because I'm old.  I read somewhere that the passage of time and its seeming length is relative to one's age; if you're 2, then a year is half of your life thus far, so it seems rather long.  If you're 32, however, a year is only 1/32 of your life, and by comparison it doesn't seem quite so long.   

But I digress.  Here's my 2008 retrospective in the form of a meme:

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Live in BC.  Go to NYC/Montreal.  Drive a new car! Go to a George Michael concert.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Some of them.  The usual weight ones will continue to top my list until I'm in bikini-ready shape again. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, several of my dear friends gave birth for either the first or second time this past year.  Babies everywhere, really - and with them the incessant question about when it will be our turn.  Stop asking, please.  It's a personal question (not unlike "how's your sex life going?" or "how much do you weigh?") and for those who are struggling to conceive, a painful question as well.  I have several friends who have fertility challenges, and I can imagine how hard it is for them to have to field intrusive questions on such a sensitive topic.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No funerals this year, praise Jesus.  

5. What countries did you visit?
Just the U.S., outside of eastern Canada, which I also visited for the first time this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A full-time job :) 6-pack abs.  A trip to some exotic destination.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

The day we flew out to Van for good.  My sis VanillaCon's wedding day. George Michael live in concert.  Obama's victory.  Those are some of them.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't know that any one thing stands out for me.  Hubbs had a way more successful year, wrought with achievements, than I had.  Finding a good home church in Van was an achievement for us, I think.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Gaining weight ;)

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Well, I threw my back out a couple of days ago when we were flying back to Van.  That's pretty much it.  God has been good to us and has kept us healthy!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our new car.  Our swanky Garmin Nuvi 880 GPS.  Hubbs' iPhone.  Fresh fish from the market (mmm...sablefish!)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Weird question.  Everyone who I know and love, who had successes or blessings this year, merits being celebrated.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The ignorant and the unkind.  The McCain/Palin campaign and the racist fear-mongering of some of their supporters.  Gordon Ramsay, cheating cad.  

14. Where did most of your money go?
Our move to Van was really pricey.  So was the car.  Those were our "Top 2" expenses of the year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Obama's win.  24:Redemption.  My sub jobs at the school(s).  Our new apt.  Our new furniture.  Our first visitors/guests in Van.  NYC/Montreal.  Disneyland! My yummy 6-course dinner last night.  Christmas.  It doesn't take much, people ;)

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
No song in particular, but we got XM Satellite radio for the first time in 2008, so all of their programming is associated with the year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) Happier   b) Rounder   c) The same

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise, traveling, and reading.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Reading gossip online.  It's a major time kill.

20. How will have you be spending spent Christmas?
In E-town with both sides of the family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I’ve stayed in love throughout 2008.  Hubbs, you're the best!

22. How many one-night stands?
None.  Never have, never will!

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Iron Chef, Kitchen Nightmares (until that Ramsay thing happened), C.S.I., Robot Chicken, Colbert Report, Daily Show w/Jon Stewart

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope.  I try not to waste my time and energy on hating others (though there are plenty I do not care for!).  

25. What was the best book you read?
I'd say the Twilight series but you can't count that drivel as true literature.  I enjoyed reading The Shack and Sense and Sensibility.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The 3 satellite radio stations that play Christmas music in December! ;)

27. What did you want and get?
Time with my family.  Health for all the ones I love.  A trip to Anaheim.  A nice place in Van.  An opportunity to teach in BC.  A nice small group to join.

28. What did you want and not get?
My bikini bod. A trip to Europe (maybe in 2009?).  A new laptop (will be bought in 2009).  A full-time job.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall-E, Dark Knight

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29, v.4.  I'm sure we went out for dinner or something but it was all a fun blur.  

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery.  Getting our Honda at an even lower rate.  

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Comfort casual.  Function over fashion.  Urban appropos.  

33. What kept you sane?
Hubbs.  God.  My awesome family :)

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Obama was inspiring.  I wouldn't say I "fancied" him though, since I associate "fancying" with romantic feelings.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
None more than any other, really.  Sometimes I try to stay ignorant and blissful when it comes to politics.  That whole Prop 8 thing was terrible, though; let your yes be yes and your no be no!

36. Who did you miss?
Nobody in particular.  Everyone I care for back in E-town.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
The most interesting would have to be "James", who sounds like James Earl Jones and has lived a life that is beyond exciting.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Pick your battles, but fight hard for what you believe in.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, He's so good to me.



1 comments:

tejanamama said...

This is a cute one. :)