Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Decememeber :)


Is it lame that a thirty-something year-old woman looks forward to Christmas like a giddy child?  IMHO, no.  I love Christmas, and the hype that leads up to those festive family celebrations held between the 23rd and the 27th (in my family, Christmas lasts at least that long).  I feel sorry for those who have removed "Christmas" from their list of observed holidays, replacing it with a lame ol' "winter holiday" or whatever it is that those kill-joys like to call December 25th. 

Anyway, 'tis not the time for a rant.  Tis the season for a meme, a Christmas meme no less!  Feel free to rip this off and stick it on your own blog for some cheap jolly Christmas fun ;)

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?  Whatever is easiest.  I personally prefer to open wrapped gifts but sometimes it is just a lot less painful to just shove the gift in a bag with some tissue paper.
2. Real tree or Artificial?  Fake all the way, baby.  I don't enjoy the smell of pine and now that I've heard stories about stowaway bees and other insects taking refuge inside the live trees, I will never get a real one!
3. When do you put up the tree? Whenever Hubbs lets me.  This year we've opted not to do the tree, though we've decorated in every other possible way with the few meagre Christmas ornaments that we have.
4. When do you take the tree down? Whenever Hubbs is willing to help me with it.  Usually this occurs sometime before February, though it can cut it pretty close to the end of the month!
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, but only in small portions sipped from a glass.  That stuff can get pretty rich...and fattening.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hmmm.  I can't say that there was any one gift that stands out in my mind.  I'm sure I liked any non-clothing gifts as a kid, but there wasn't a Christmas present that was particularly memorable for me.  I've enjoyed getting bracelets from Hubbs...one year he even picked it out himself and it was beautiful.  Stuff like that is always special to me.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Hubbs' grandparents.  All they want are Swiss Chalet and McDonald gift certificates.  It is hard to be creative with those two!
8. Easiest person to buy for? Myself :)  Hubbs is pretty easy to buy for as well.  And anyone who offers up a wish list has my greatest gratitude during this season of stressful gift shopping.
9. Do you have a nativity scene?  Not yet.  I have yet to find one that goes well with our decor and isn't uber-tacky looking.  
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Neither.  I totally suck.  Sorry my friends!!  That said, I'm hoping to actually do the Christmas card mail-out next year.  That is one of my New Year's resolutions ;)
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?  Hot pink sweatshirt and matching sweatpants with silver zippered pockets.  That thing was hideous.  Oh, and an ugly troll doll given without much thought.  I am still bitter about both of these atrocious items and wonder what sort of misery I must have inflicted on the givers to have been cruelly subject to such pathetic excuses for gifts. 
12. Favorite Christmas movie? The Charlie Brown Christmas special.  I also like watching The Sound of Music around this time of year, since it plays every December.   
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?  November, sometimes October.  This year was a late one, and I really just started shopping in December.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I think so...but nothing specific comes to mind.  I probably regifted candles and boxes of chocolate at some point in life, though.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?  Everything!  Turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, Poppycock (we only eat it at Christmas time, for some reason), chocolate, candy canes, rich decadent desserts, prime rib, and so on and so forth.  I belong to two families that enjoy their food immensely.  
16. Lights on the tree? Yes, white ones.  I'm not a fan of those crazy multi-coloured lights that some people use on their trees.  I prefer simple white lights, or else blue lights.  
17. Favorite Christmas song?  You mean songs, plural, right?  Because honestly, I cannot simply choose just ONE.  I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, Silent Night, O Holy Night, Carol of the Bells, Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire (The Christmas Song), Joy to the World, What Child is This?, Silver Bells, O Come All Ye Faithful, Do You Hear What I Hear?, and of course, Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas song "Christmas Time is Here." 
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?  Always traveling.  Our time is split between my family and Hubbs' family.  This year it's long-distance travel, no less! 
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?  Yes, of course!  I know the song.  Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?  I prefer the star, but it doesn't prefer to stay put on the top of the tree.  Usually our tree goes topless as a result.  
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?  Both. :)  We do Hubbs' family's gifts on Christmas Eve (and then again after Boxing Day for the stocking stuffers), and we do MY family's Christmas presents on Christmas morning (or early afternoon if the 25th falls on a Sunday).
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?  Crowds of shoppers and long line ups, as well as stores that run out of stuff because of the increased demands.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I never thought I had a favourite, though one might be inclined to think it is cherry red, forest green, and gold, since that seems to be the colour scheme of most of my Christmas "stuff."  My tastes run a bit traditional, though this is mixed with a simplicity characteristic of more modern decorating habits.  I do enjoy different themes and colours, however; I like the look of some champagne gold and dusty rose trees (Victorian style), and I also appreciate the silver/white/blue colour schemes.  
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Stuffing and cranberry sauce.  Meat(turkey or prime rib...not a fan of ham).  Mashed potatoes and gravy.  
25. What do you want for Christmas this year?  Besides everything my heart desires? ;) A fun time spent with my family.  Truthfully, Hubbs and I have been very blessed and we want for nothing.  At this point in our lives, Christmas is meaningful to us not only because we are celebrating our Savior's birth, but because it gives us an excuse to take time out to spend with our loved ones.  That is what we want - time - and what we enjoy more than any material gift.  A great gift this Christmas would be the continued good health of all of our family.  
26. Who is most likely to respond to this? I'm sure you've all responded mentally, in that as you've read these questions, you've considered what your own responses might be.  I don't know who might want to also complete this meme, however.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it might not be and that would be OK), I'm also sad about the troll doll all those years ago. I think it boiled down to having run out of allowance money and being a thoughtless teenager (I had both of those inflictions in copious amounts all those years ago). It truly was a poor moment in my gift giving history but nowadays each time I have run short on time or cash when it is time to purchase a gift I remember this and ensure that I don't have a repeat offense. FYI: The very pretty, and carefully selected, Precious Moments Christmas ornament that I received in return still hangs on my tree:)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I guess it is incredibly ironic, then, that I totally didn't remember what I got you that year! ;) At least the troll doll was memorable gift! :)

I'm sure I've had more than my share of bad gift-giving; just ask my sis, who will never let me live down the year I got her stickers for Christmas :D In fact, she reminded me not more than a week ago.

It's funny that what seemed like such a big deal back then (Christmas gifts!) is nowadays so insignificant in my life. Not only do I not eagerly look forward to receiving gifts, but I actually don't even want for any gifts at this point, so everything I get is gravy. Back then, in my own angst and insecurity, I suppose it mattered a lot more!

I hope my meme response didn't cut too deeply, babe! It wasn't meant to make you feel bad!! Hopefully you will have a very merry, and bountiful, Christmas this year, and will not be haunted by any previous gift-giving offenses!! *hugs*

tejanamama said...

Guess i should go see if i can get my money back for the troll doll i bought you! DANG! ;)

Have a happy holiday honey! Miss you! Love your festive looking post! :)

A said...

Its all good Mrs. L! It was a good learning experience for me (even if it had to make your top worst gift-receiving experience;)). Hope you guys have an awesome Christmas!