Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Three


It was on this day three years ago that I declared my lifelong commitment to Hubbs in the presence of family and friends, in the sight of God. It was one of the happiest days of my life, if not the most joyful. Though many talk about the difficulties of negotiating a shared life in the beginning stages of matrimony, I can't say that I have had the displeasure of having that experience. With Hubbs, my days have only gotten better, and my years have been successively more wonderful.

Sometimes, I can't quite remember what life was like before Hubbs was in it. He is so key to my life.

To commemorate our third wedding anniversary, we had gone out for a romantic seafood dinner at Blue Water Cafe in Vancouver last weekend. However, I could hardly allow this day to pass without another celebration, s
ince today is the actual date of the anniversary. I didn't quite know what to do, given my desire to stay home and also to keep costs low. In the end, this was my gift to Hubbs:

- romantic candles to greet him when he got home
- an appetizer of prosciutto-wrapped scallops with lemon pesto mayonnaise
- a main entree of baked lobster tails with citrus butter, and a side of pesto gnocchi
- a dessert of chocolate fondue (the Toblerone kind...yum!) with pound cake, strawberries, and apples

His gift to me was his patience in watching P.S. - I Love You with me. No, he did not cry (my Hubbs is no sissy!), and in fact he managed to find several things to criticize about the film (you can ask him about that if you want spoilers). As his gift, however, he held his tongue for the most part, until the end of the movie, and he cuddled with me throughout the entire flick - no laptop, Nintendo DS, PSP, or other electronic distractions whatsoever. It was very sweet of him to hold me while I sobbed, and he even let me leave puddles of tears all over his clothes.

Anyway, we spent part of the evening reflecting on how blessed we have been to have each other. Sometimes I think that I have no excuse to ever feel miserable or unhappy, given how fortunate I am to have someone who loves me as generously and unconditionally as Hubbs does. I love the idea that I will be able to grow old with him, and that I can celebrate many more days like this one, in years to come.

I am truly one lucky woman.



3 comments:

Justice~! said...

You are the sweetest, most beautiful woman I have ever had the opportunity to meet.

Thank you so much for blessing my life! Being able to grow old with you is one of the greatest blessings the Lord has given me.

I love you!

-Hubbs

Natalie said...

Happy anniversary you two are quite a lucky couple.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks Natalie - we know we are beyond lucky to have each other. :)

And Hubbs - I love you too! Thank you for 3 fantastic years.