Monday, July 14, 2008

My New Toy Is Smarter Than I Am

When, just a few weeks ago, our camera failed to power off after we hit the on/off button, we figured it was time to retire the 3.2 megapixel dinosaur. This camera was one of our wedding gifts a mere 3 years ago, and yet by today's standards the thing is practically obsolete.


Anyway, today I picked up a new camera. It's the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS. We bought the plain ol' silver one, which features 8.0 megapixels, 3x zoom, face detection, red-eye reduction, and a bunch of settings like "fireworks," "foliage," "kids and animals," "underwater," "colour highlight" and "snow." This isn't even the most advanced camera I could buy (more likely mid-range for compact digitals, as far as I know), and yet I think I might need to go back to school and get another degree before I can figure out how to work all of the camera's many functions; they are so beyond ridiculous that I can barely imagine myself ever using anything besides "automatic" and "night mode."

No wonder people are afraid of technology. What was invented (and was useful) to make life more simple now just complicates it even more. If I can just take some photos that I can look at right away, put on my computer and Facebook account, and print, I'm happy! My simple needs do not require half of these fancy features (though admittedly the "image stabilizer" function is particularly good for me to have), and I find them quite overwhelming. If, as a university-educated, double-degree holding individual, I find the camera a bit scary to work with, I can only imagine what my parents must feel when they have to play with their digital camera (which was purchased last year).

So, long story short, my new toy is smarter than I am. Maybe I'm just dumb for buying something so dang loaded.


2 comments:

Curlz said...

Good camera for vacation is a must have! Hope you'll post some fun shots. Enjoy ~ Curlz

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks Curlz! I will definitely have fun experimenting with this crazy piece of technology! ;)