Monday, June 30, 2008

Catching Up On the Classics

Much as I pride myself on being a reader, I haven't had a lot of time lately to devote to the task. Now that the summer is here, I want to ambitiously tackle some of the books that I've put off reading for some reason or another. Two of my first projects:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, which I've already begun to read and am enjoying quite a bit. I didn't realize that there was a lot of sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek humour in the novel, and I would think that if I had read the book when I was younger, I wouldn't have caught some of the wit that I now appreciate so much.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Hubbs is going to read this book, so I think I will join him in the daunting task. I tried to read it a few years ago, and made it to page 65 before I was so bored and confused that I put the book down, never to touch again until now. A friend of Hubbs' recommended this book, and I feel ready to face the challenge of slugging through the many names to see just what the hype is all about.

I'll let you know when...if...I finish it. ;)



5 comments:

Curlz said...

Okay, I could have sworn that I just checked your blog for a new read just yesterday, or was it the day before that? Then WOW! Love the new look. Just a blogger baby myself, I am still cuddling the old choices of templates like a security blanket. Where do you find other templates? I suppose I could do a little research,...nahhhh!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thank you Curlz! :) It was on a whim that I changed it...wanted something different and new..and still girly and feminine and pink...LOL.

I just Googled "Blogger templates" and found a ton of free ones that could be borrowed. It wasn't hard to change the look, either..but of course every link had to be re-added :(

Natalie said...

I haven't read Sense and Sensibility but I enjoy other Jane Austen and have found her to be extremely witty. Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite books of all time. I have read it a few times and, while old school Russian Lit does tend to be a little confusing until you get used to it, the reward of the completed story is well worth the read. I think you'll be very interested in the spiritual journey the main character takes throughout the novel.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks Natalie! I appreciate the feedback...it marginally increases my desire to read Brothers, but I still get a little gun-shy after doing the flip-read of the book. I am determined to tackle it after I'm done Sense & Sensibility; I'm glad I don't remember the movie well, so that the book can continue to be interesting for me!

tejanamama said...

I took a russian lit course in undergrad and LOVED IT! best dang stuff! hard to read but yummy! I enjoyed this pick myself but NEVER finished it cuz i read it when I started commuting and working in NY after gradschool and when it got busier and I got more tired, i never finished it :( Got about 2/3rds through. GOOD STUFF! I might have to pick up something to read again before my brain turns to mush reading bad philosophy finals!