Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Overwhelmed


For the next little while, my blog rantings will likely be sporadic. May and June are the busiest and ugliest months of all for teachers, and unfortunately I am not exempt from this chaotic season of the academic year.

Add to that many expectations surrounding parental visits, Mother's Day and Father's Day, familial birthdays, and the like. It is little wonder that I find myself melting into my bed at the end of the day and hostile to the idea of getting up at 5:00 every morning.

It never ceases to amaze, how adulthood brings with it so many obligations and demands from all sides. As a "smug married," the sides simply multiply. There is only so much of Hubbs and I to go around, and this seems to be such a constant surprise to others, even though we have never been unclear about our time constraints and hectic schedules. It seems like nobody is listening, and everyone is selfishly hoping that our schedules will suddenly clear up or we will make the exception for them, because they are somehow more special than every other person who is also insisting on our time and attention.

The idea of becoming reclusive grows ever more appealing by the day. The temptation to vent electronically via this medium, and by so doing potentially alienate people whom we care about, is also ever present and attractive, but entirely infeasible. Which is why I need to follow Thumper's mother's rule of social etiquette about staying silent rather than speaking ill of others.

I'll let you know when we have navigated our way out of these pushy, demanding times, and my outlook is more pleasant and less frustrated. Until then, be prepared for some cryptic (and infrequent) musings, or perhaps a plethora of posts on my new obsession, the Twilight series (which provides me with escape, one that I welcome at the end of a rough and demanding day).






2 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

Our church had an important meeting last night (our senior pastor is retiring, so we need to call a new one) and I asked one person why his wife wasn't there.

He replied that she was in the middle of grading.

I then noted that she also had to coordinate a play this Friday evening.

Busy time. Stay above it.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks, OE. It is an ugly time. And fraught with obligation-ridden parent-days, too! They should honestly move those to a less busy month...like January.