Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Me Me Time

The word "meme" is usually pronounced /meem/ or /mehm/ but personally, I think it should be pronounced as a two-syllable /mee-mee/, standing for Me! Me! Memes are self-indulgent, fun, posting formulas that basically force the world to focus their attention on you.

That said, I enjoy memes because I am just narcissistic enough to enjoy the attention that is lavished upon me when I post these things. It's also very entertaining, and remarkably easy to do since I know myself so well :)

I was recently tagged by the Ontario Emperor in his post, "Meme-Tagged:'Eight Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Me'."

The rules are:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.

2. List EIGHT random facts about yourself.

3. Tag EIGHT people at the end of your post and list their names.

4. Let them know they’ve been tagged.

So here we go:

1) Once upon a time, while on a commercial airline flying economy class from Vancouver to Edmonton, I found myself seated inside on a jet surrounded by Vancouver Canucks. You know, the big strapping hockey players? They were all huge and they all wore suits, and I even traded seats with one of them since he wanted to sit by his buddy. Of course, in keeping with Murphy's Law, the one time I got my chance to meet NHL'ers I just happened to look my worst; I had been traveling for 13 hours on a previous flight in from Hong Kong, I was wearing my coke-bottle glasses, and my face was weary and greasy from all that travel without a good shower break. And I didn't know the names of any of the Canucks, either; I had just spent the last few years in Asia where NHL games weren't even mentioned in the papers, much less broadcast on TV. How embarrassing!

2) I (used to) have a very bad habit of falling. As a child, I scraped my knees more times than I can count, and many of these scrapes removed several layers of skin. I remember having gauze and bandages on my knees for a week at a time. As a
n adult, my heels (and I do usually give myself at least 1.5" of "boost") have this tendency of catching on the side of a crack on the pavement, or on the edge of a stair, or on a pathway leading to a house. I have torn several pairs of pants in the knees from my falls, including denim jeans of impressive thickness. My knees are actually scarred up from all the spills I've had over the course of my life, and my last two falls were only a couple of weeks ago. It is embarrassing, especially when my tumbles land me face down on the ground, kissing the pavement. Lip gloss really attracts speckles of dirt, let me tell you!


3) I am a wimp when it comes to scary movies. By scary, I mean blood and gore scary, suspenseful scary, and psychologically twisted scary. When Hubbs and I went to see "I Am Legend," I spent the better part of the movie hidden behind my scarf. Poor Hubbs had to tell me when each disturbing scene was over, and when it was "safe" to watch again. The funny thing is, I have a hard time with most movies of this genre, but I have had no difficulty whatsoever watching "Sin City," and I love reading books about the gory details of real-life crimes. C.S.I. is one of my favourite TV shows. Despite all of this, I can't handle zombies or Jason in a mask or aliens or vampires or Hannibal Lecter.

4) Duri
ng my senior year of high school, I managed to win the "Modern Languages" award for my performance in French, even though I barely speak a word of it today. In the seventh grade, my year-end mark for French was a whopping 100%, too. I'm not really sure how I finagled these accolades, since my French is so abysmal that my Quebecois brother-in-law laughs at me all the time when I try uttering sentences in his native tongue. Maybe my teachers just really liked me?

5) I have never cheated in anything in school. The one time I attempted to cheat, in the eighth grade, I was caught and publicly humiliated in front of all of my homeroom peers. Then the teacher threatened to call my mother, and then he bullied/intimidated me after school by hurling an empty plastic Coke bottle against a metal desk, leaving a distinct dent in the metal. One of the reasons why I entered the profession of education was to mak
e changes in the education system, so that bullying teachers like himself would no longer find a home in any classroom. I remain appalled that some people are allowed to teach, when they are clearly not appropriate role models to be influencing young minds on a daily basis. In my heart of hearts I keep hoping for greater accountability and some educational reform, so that turkeys like this former-teacher of mine get purged from the system.

6) I find shopping to be therapeutic and relaxing. Hubbs does not. We have a hard time negotiating our shopping trips together as a result. Thankfully, cell phone games and the Nintendo DS and the PSP have been invented to help make his (and my) shopping experiences much more bearable.

7) I like my Crocs, and I wear them in public. This is shameful behaviour in the eyes of my fashion-conscious sister. However, since they are so comfy, I don't really care what she thinks!

8) I hate teaching P.E. It is supposedly the easiest subject to teach, but I don't enjoy it at all, probably because I was terrible at it as a child, and am still sports-inept. I also secretly love teaching math, even though I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

Okay, so now that I've bored ya with my 8 tidbits, I must comply with the rules and tag 8 others. The sad thing is, I don't know who reads this blog so I am not entirely sure who I should tag. As a result, I am going to be a rebel and will tag everyone who has had the (mis)fortune of stumbling upon my corner of the blogosphere ;) Enjoy!! Remember..Me! Me!






2 comments:

Sunny said...

Well, now that was an interesting read!

I'll do it on my blog over the weekend....and link to yours.
Have a good weekend, hun!

I really AM enjoying your blog!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Awwww...thanks Sunny! :)