Monday, December 03, 2007

Vancouver and Back Again - The Meltdown After-Story

Following my mini-meltdown, I did fly out and join my Hubbs in the glorious city of Vancouver. Though I barely saw him during that first night of my arrival (he had one last pseudo-ALT.net meeting that night), the next day was beautiful and he and I got to spend some time together. The sky was clear, the air was crisp, and it was totally the Vancouver that I love. As we sipped night-caps in the lounge that evening, we were even able to spend a few moments with his hero, JP, and some other very nice developer dudes from all around the world.

Highlights of our trip:

* Hubbs and his dad enjoying a brisk walk at Stanley Park
* Mom E. and I shopping Robson
* Our visit to Granville Island market
* Breakfast @ Paul's Omelettry with my in-laws, then again with Kyle Baley
* Dinner at C (seared foie gras! YUM)
* Hubbs making up for lost time by doing on his wife :)

However, this trip was plagued with unpleasantries, unlike my previous trips to Van. The lowlights of the trip:

* slushy snow for 2 full days of my trip in Van
* not getting to drive a mid-sized vehicle (practice for our new Accord one day)
* not getting to visit the whirlpool/hot tub at the Wall Centre hotel
* the delayed flights leaving Van (due to the snow)
* sitting on the tarmac for an hour waiting to be de-iced
* the cold temperatures we returned to following our trip

And last but worst of all:
* coming home to an apartment where all the elevators are not working

Yes, it is true. As we unpacked our bags from the car and headed towards the elevator, we were met by some random Samaritan from the building who told us that, because of the idiocy of one of the residents on the 15th floor (not us!), the garbage chute had been left open and a pipe froze as a result. This led to flooding in the elevators, which meant they became inoperable. He broke us the bad news that we would have to haul our heavy suitcases and carry-on bags up every flight of stairs from the 3rd floor parkade to our 15th floor home. He, being the kindly Samaritan, offered to take one of the bags up for us from the parkade to the 10th floor. We were met there by the security guard, who was kind enough to lug that bag up the rest of the way. Meanwhile, Hubbs had to haul up the gigantic suitcase carrying all of his stuff from the week, and I had to carry both carry-on bags plus our dinner, wearing 2" boots, up these cursed steps. Unreal.

And so, here we are, the morning after one of the more disastrous weekend trips I've ever taken, and still the elevators do not work and I have school stuff left to be hauled up from the car.

I am starting to think that we should consider moving somewhere warm and snow-free, like Austin, TX.

Unreal.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I hate de-icing of planes. I swear it takes so long that the planes ice up again half the time before they are done.

Ontario Emperor said...

I haven't been to Vancouver since 1980, and never in the snow. However, one January in Portland we had an ice storm which cut the power to the Reed College campus, and I fell asleep to the sound of ice-covered branches snapping off the trees.

In 1983 I moved to Southern California. If it weren't for the high costs, I'd recommend that you guys come down here.

Cristina :) said...

awwwww girl. sounds like all in all it was a good trip. the bad list weren't as bad as the good things were good!!! that last bit with the stairs tho..BRUTAL. its cardio tho!!! ;) LOL i know its not what you want to hear, but there is a silver lining :) you probably needed to work off the delicious food you ate on the trip !!!!!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Oh I love Robson street and Granville especially... try to make it up to Whistler sometime too! It's gorgeous in the winter, like a fairytale.

vien said...

COOL to the first part and crappy to the the 2nd part.

Consider Arizona to move to..no de-icing here. And definitely no snow, and still relatively cheap to live! :)

(early) Merry Christmas to you & Justice as well.