Friday, December 28, 2007

Catching Up with the 21st Century...Again

As I have said before, I am woefully behind technologically for a woman married to a software developer whose daily routine includes reading up on new technologies. In fact, I am so behind that prior to yesterday, I had no idea that there were cordless phones operating on a frequency better than 5.8 GHz. I'm sure Hubbs knew, but he never bothered to catch me up on this advancement in modern technology.

Anyway, DECT 6.0 is apparently the new-and-improved frequency for cordless phones. It is supposed to be almost completely immune to household interference from wireless modems, cell phones, the Wii, the DS, and other such invisible transmissions. It also offers a level of encryption to help enhance security during conversations, and its voice transmission quality is superior to that of the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz phones, even from a greater distance away from the base. Best of all, its battery life is said to outperform its predecessors'. This is particularly appealing to me since I have had a tendency of forgetting to put the handset back on the receiver following a lengthy phone conversation, which has resulted in some very inconvenient situations involving important calls and dead handsets. 0:)

Anyway, for Christmas I had received some cashola, some of which I chose to allocate to the purchase of a new set of phones. This prompted me to do a bit of research online, and to try to bone up on my cordless phone technology knowledge. After a bit of digging, I found myself my Christmas present:You like? It has a colourful display and I love that it is small and sleek. We're still charging our handsets right now but so far, the call display has been quite an improvement on our previous 5.8GHz GE phone, and our new ring (a musical melody from some classical piece that involves chirping birds) is fantastic. :)

I can't wait to get my first phone call! Simple pleasures for simple minds, non? We've already missed a call, which I was able to use the navigation menu on the phone to find out about. I am just thrilled to have this new toy to play with for the next day or so.

If you are already immersed in the DECT 6.0 world, drop me a comment to let me know what you think, okay? I have read great things about these phones, particularly the Panasonic ones, and I would love to hear more anecdotal experiences to help me validate my purchase ;) (Even with Christmas money, I have buyer's guilt/remorse. It is part of the stingy that runs in my blood.)












0 comments: