Friday, November 09, 2007

Big Baby


I'm usually pretty tough; I don't cringe when I give blood, I go to work when I don't feel well, and I walk in spite of kiwi-sized blisters on the bottoms of my feet.

However, today I found myself whining like a big baby.

Two evenings ago I noted a tell-tale scratchiness in my throat. In spite of my near-OD'ing on vitamin C for the past 48 hours, I was unable to avoid that dreaded annual fall cold. I woke up this morning to a hoarse voice, an achy body, and a mild upper-respiratory congestion.

Rather than be blessed with a day off to recover, however, I had to go to work (pro bono, no less!) because my students were performing in the Remembrance Day assembly at school. As the coordinating teacher of their dramatic efforts, my attendance was non-negotiable. On top of that, I had (stupidly) promised a colleague that I would sub for him (for money) in the afternoon, while he was away with our school sports team at a tournament.

Needless to say, my mood was less than spectacular when I arrived at school in the morning. Some whining and general noisiness from a few of my performing students didn't help. My spilling an entire mug of coffee on my shirt right before the assembly began didn't help. Having to sit through 40 minutes of sombre remembrance whilst reeking of coffee and contending with wet fabric on my skin didn't help.

By the end of the day, I was done. My throat hurt, my body hurt, my head hurt, and all I wanted was to eat a bowl of chicken congee and some of my dad's homemade Chinese comfort food. Rice would have been nice. Some herbal Chinese soup would have been nice too. Unfortunately, none of these were available to me, because the one place we know to have clean and "down home" Chinese cooking is closed for the month due to staff holidays. The rest of the places either didn't sell things like congee, or they didn't do deliveries. (Hubbs is sick, too, so it would be entirely unfair of me to send him on a pick-up mission).

I felt so sorry for myself, so lonesome for my parents' cooking, and so miserable that I whined. Loudly. Like a big ol' baby. It was not a pretty sight. Hardly my proudest moment.

Thankfully, I have a very patient and loving husband. Though he, too, was sick today, he was kind enough to make me a can of Campbell's chicken noodle, and tuck me into bed so that I could get some rest.

I still feel pretty awful physically, and the congestion hasn't subsided yet. However, I do feel a tad better, having caught a few z's and filled up my tummy.

I still crave my folks' food though. And I am desperately hoping that I will feel much better tomorrow, or else I have a feeling that the whining will only get louder and more pathetic.

(PS - Fortunately I didn't have to teach all afternoon in a wet shirt. The school was able to sell me a t-shirt from their overstock of school shirts, and so I managed to change out of my coffee-stained, wet top into a clean, dry shirt shortly after the assembly concluded.)



2 comments:

Cristina :) said...

Some lucky kid had his "Mrs.Loquacious in a Wet Shirt" fantasy come true!!!! ;)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

LOL...except I highly doubt these predominantly blonde-haired, blue-eyed Dutch kids are all that interested in a portly Asian woman in a wet shirt ;)