Saturday, September 15, 2007

Good to the Core

And good for the core! I saw a colleague of mine perched on this lovely little seat the other day, and I realized that I just had to have one for myself:


Yes, it is what it appears to be: an exercise ball chair. I got mine on sale for about $40, and so far, it has been a pretty decent investment. It's not altogether uncomfortable (my back is pretty strong, and my abs hidden beneath my tummy are also relatively strong), and it forces me to sit upright and to not cross my legs all the time in my computer chair.

Some very preliminary reviews of the product online (I didn't do a very thorough or responsible research job prior to this purchase - it was a buying decision made by gut instinct) seem to suggest that it is good for relieving lower back pain (which I have) and for improving posture and building core strength (which I need). It's also funky looking.

The ball chair also supports up to 300 pounds of weight, and even though I don't weigh nearly that much, it's good to know that this product is able to support me very well, and is also something that someone much heavier than I could use without fear. That said, I'm not too sure I want anyone over 250 to sit on my chair...just in case.

If you're in the market for a new office chair, why not give this one a try? It's definitely less expensive than many of the "ergonomically correct" chairs out there, and it is probably going to be better for you in the end! :)




4 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow it looks super cool. I think I may need to look into one.

Princess Banter said...

WHOAAAAAAAA that looks awesome!!! Is it comfortable though? Like, I sit on my chair at work for 12 hours... is that sustainable?

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Well, the ball has a 4/5 rating on Amazon.com and 117 reviews, if that helps you guys out with your decision.

I have found my chair to be quite comfortable; in fact, I've managed to learn how to slouch in it (albeit for very short periods of time, because *that* is not sustainable). I have definitely, in the few short days I've perched on this for multiple hours (usually 4+ hours at a time), felt it working my lower back and oblique muscles (both of which are sore now). I've read that your body is sore for the first couple of days but then it gets really used to the chair and you no longer like regular chairs.

And Princess Banter, yes the chair is comfy. It's also bouncy, which is loads of fun sometimes. ;)

Sylvana said...

Ooooo! Aaaahhhh!
I likey!