Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Ratatouille - The Only Time I Liked a Rat!


Movie month, I guess ;) My mother-in-law and I ditched our guys and went to see this Pixar flick; the boys went to Transformers instead. I guess the idea of an animated cooking rat didn't appeal to them!

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 95% fresh rating, so we figured that the movie couldn't be that terrible. It wasn't! In fact, it was actually quite amusing, though perhaps with far fewer "adult" jokes than the Shrek series.

The story, in a nutshell, is about a rat that learns to read and gets inspired by Chef Gusteau's motto, "Anyone can cook" (ha!) to become a cook. Said Rat gets separated from his rat clan and ends up in jolie Paris, where the "ghost" of Chef Gusteau guides him into an opportunity to actually cook in the late chef's restaurant, now being run by a villainous former-sous-chef who is waiting to officially take over the restaurant. The rat, and the lanky boy with a past, ends up saving the day through the rat's culinary efforts, and in the process the rat learns to juggle his "human tendencies" with his rat status, and makes peace with his family (with whom he is eventually reunited).

Though the plot is beyond unrealistic, and the scenes with a bazillion scurrying animated rats made my skin crawl (I HATE rodents of all makes and models), the movie itself was actually pretty cute. It was definitely one of those suspend-your-disbelief-and-enjoy movies, but it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you were done watching.

I would recommend that you bring kids to this movie; it's totally family-friendly. As well, if you're looking for a silly, light, heart-warmer movie, this is the sort of thing to see. I'm sure the reviews have been stellar, so you don't want to miss it if you like animated flicks. I thought this was more engaging than "Madagascar" so if you liked that movie, you should really enjoy this one! :)


3 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

If I want to see rats, I'll just head to Orange County and go to a baseball game. :)

The previews looked OK for this one, and looked preferable to the Catherine Zeta-Jones flick.

Natalie said...

I thought it was easily the best movie I have seen in a theater in a long time and I saw The Simpson's Movie the night before.

The Doc said...

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Such a great, fun, entertaining movie.