Friday, July 13, 2007

How I Am Becoming a Better Developer...or something like that ;)

The new meme around the programming block happens to be my Hubbs' meme, based on his recent blog post, "How I Am Becoming a Better Developer: Part 1 of Infinity."

It has been making the rounds, and many developers have accepted the challenge of publicly vocalizing their professional goals on their blogs. Some of the big guns of the industry across the globe have even responded, including JP Boodhoo (Canada), Leon Bambrick (Australia), and Scott Hanselman (U.S.A.)!

I am impressed. Not only with Hubbs' own driven attitude towards self-improvement and professional development, but also with the inspiration he has provided to other programmers to do the same.

I'm not a programmer, and neither are most of you who chance upon my little corner of the blog universe. The question remains, however, for you and for me, in what ever it is that *we* do.

"How am I becoming a better _________?"

In my case, I'm a teacher. I'm a wife. I'm a daughter and sister and friend. How am I becoming better in each of my roles, and specifically in the role for which I am getting paid (or would get paid, if I had a job)?

This is a very important question to ask, one that is crucial in one's fight against mediocrity and stagnation. I am humbled by the challenge, and here are some things I plan to do to to become a better teacher:

1) Volunteer at Day Camp - This will allow me to work with children of multiple ages in less-structured environments and build my teaching and management skills while helping out my church.

2) Read: The First Days of School (Harry K. Wong)

3) Read: Ten Best Teaching Practices: How Brain Research, Learning Styles, and Standards Define Teaching Competencies (Donna Tileston)


4) Renew my library membership. And use it.

5) Pay a visit to Western Educational Activities and peruse through their resources, picking up some quality references for the beginning of the school year.

Okay, so these goals aren't quite as lofty as Hubbs', but they're a start. How are you going to be better at what you do?

This meme's for you. TAG!


2 comments:

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Not spend a lifetime trying to figure everything out?!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

That's a good goal, WLFG, but one that is hard to tangibly carry out on a daily basis. Aren't we all trying to figure things out most (if not all) of the time? We're just puzzle solvers at heart, non?