Friday, June 29, 2007

The Sucking Sucks...

...on my old vacuum cleaner. It's a Dirt Devil Swivel Glide, and Hubbs & I received it as a gift from my parents a little over 2 years ago. Interestingly enough, the warranty is only good for 2 years. Gee, I wonder why?

So Hubbs
was doing the vacuuming the other day, when he noticed that stuff wasn't getting suctioned up by the vac after a few minutes of operating. I thought something must have been jammed in the uptake tubing somewhere, or perhaps the bag was full. Neither proved to be the case; the vacuum had simply decided it no longer wanted to work consistently.

I decided to leave it for a day, and then I tried to operate the stinkin' thing again. It stopped working about 2 minutes into my vacuuming. I suppose I could have brought the thing to a repair
shop, or taken it apart and tried to repair it. I did neither.

Instead, I did what I know best to do. I went shopping for a new vac. My rationale? It would have cost us just as much, if not more, to repair the stupid old vac as it would be for us to pick up a newer, nicer, better-performing one.

I
mmediately I went online to do my research, because of course reading reviews is a good place to start for those who are ignorant in the area of small household appliances. After a few hours of investigating, I realized that the only good vacuums that exist are of the Dyson brand and variety, and their cost starts at around $500CDN. Not an option at this point; even *I* have limits when it comes to spending. Maybe in a couple of years, when I make my first million ;)

Unfortunately, I soon realized from my online review reading that there is no such thing as a good medium-priced vacuum cleaner; the ratings will always be moderate at best, and every single available model will have at least as many nay-sayers as fans. How, then, is a girl to decide? In an attempt to narrow down my options, I went for best bargain. It seemed like as good a system as any, given that my market research wasn't going so well. I found the Hoover WindTunnel U5720-950 on sale at 56% less than its original price, so I went for it; after all, if its original price was $230, surely it must be a *decent* machine at the very least?

I picked up my new vac yesterday and today I tested it out. So far (after one major vac job), so good. It was much quieter than my old Dirt Devil, and it seemed to pick up a disturbingly large volume of dust (was I really living with *that* in my home?!). I will have to keep monitoring its performance to see if it really is worth $230, but at the very least right now it's "sucking," so it's good enough for me until I can save up enough quarters to buy myself a quality, lifetime-guaranteed Dyson.






2 comments:

Natalie said...

There is no carpet in my house. We have 2 vacuums. I don't understand. Tony really likes vacuums.

Wobbly*Bits said...

Too bad we don't still have door to door vacuum salesmen who come in and spill dirt and junk on your floor and then show you how well they clean it up. Well, I don't know if we ever had those, but I've seen them on TV and they have to have gotten the idea somewhere, right?