Friday, June 15, 2007

Happy Friday!!

As I sit here at my computer, a cup of freshly-brewed java beside me, I feel content. I am happy with my life, with my Hubbs, and with the day. I see sunshine that gives me hope that the day will be a nice one, I consider my evening dinner plans with eager anticipation, and I look very much forward to my hour-long deep-tissue massage today.

If you would have spoken with me yesterday, or the day before that, or the day before that, I would have growled at you and then burst into tears. I did not feel content on those days. I was miserable, achy, sick, PMS-y, restless, and generally blah. Was it the hormones? Maybe. The lack of coffee? Possibly. More likely than those things, however, I think it was the difference in how I chose to spend the first 30 minutes of my morning.

You see, on a typical morning I wake up groggy and tired, and upon getting up I shuffle my feet to my computer and then spend a few minutes on email, surfing, and the like before making myself a caffeinated hot beverage. Today, however, inspired by Hubbs' example, my first priority (after visiting the washroom) was to pray, and read my Bible, and spend some time with God. My computer was not turned on until after I had given myself some quiet time with my Savior.

In my humble opinion, that has made all the difference. I should have known it would, too, because it always does. However, my memory is pathetically short and my discipline, lacking in the unstructured summer months. As a result, I don't usually practice this act of morning devotions like I should. Instead, I spend it doing frivolous things that tend not to brighten my outlook on the day.

Perhaps today marks the start of a new trend, one that devotes the first-fruits of my time to the One I love and adore above all. I hope so. I could really get used to being content all the time, and I'm sure Hubbs wouldn't mind, either! :)




2 comments:

vien said...

that's good Helen!

keep it up!

Inspire, be inspired.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Awww...thanks Vien!