Thursday, May 03, 2007

Naked Finger

I'm not wearing my wedding rings today. No, my marriage is not in trouble, though I am blogging about this as a pre-emptive way to avoid any awkward moments between now and next week. You see, my rings are off at the shop being polished up and prettied after nearly 2 years of daily wear and abuse.

After I dropped off the rings, however, my left hand felt awkward. My middle and pinky fingers had nothing to rub against and I felt like covering up my left hand, even though nobody at the mall would even have noticed either way. So, I decided to get a cheap replacement. By cheap, I mean cubic zirc and sterling silver cheap.

Luckily, I discovered the Claddagh ring, which until yesterday I had never heard of. The Claddaugh ring is an Irish wedding ring with a very specific design of two hands holding a heart topped with a crown. The symbolism behind the Claddagh ring is this: the hands represent friendship, the heart represents love, and the crown signifies loyalty. The saying associated with this ring is, "With these hands I give you my heart and I crown it with my love." The ring is supposed to be worn on the right hand, crown out, if the girl's heart is open (she's lookin' for love) and on the right hand, crown in, if she's seeing someone. A lady wears it on the left hand if she is happily married. Depending on which source you refer to, a married woman wears the ring with the crown out and the heart in when her man is with her, and she wears it with the heart out and the crown in when her man is separated from her by a distance.

I thought the symbolism was beautiful so I bought myself an inexpensive Claddagh ring in sterling silver, with a nice white cubic zirc in the middle of the heart, to keep my naked finger warm until my true rings return to me in a week's time.

So now you know - marriage is great, our relationship is wonderful. But my rings are dirty and scuffed and this is why I am not wearing them. The end.


3 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

I didn't know that rings could take a week to clean. When we go to the L.A. County Fair, they clean the rings right there (as they try to sell you their ring cleaning solution).

Natalie said...

I have seen these rings often and always thought they were pretty. I knew they went one way if you were single and another if taken but the different hands and stuff was new to me. Thanks!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

OE - My rings are being recoated to make them shiny and white-gold coloured again (they look sort of yellowy these days). That's why it takes like an eternity to get them cleaned, and why the ring purchase was necessary.

Nat - I think the ring's really pretty in its own unconventional way, too! :) Yeah, it was all new info to me as well but I'm glad to have learned more about it. I love symbolism. :)