Saturday, May 12, 2007

Adventures in Drugland, Mrs. Loquacious Style

I have a cold. A nasty, runny-nose-sneezing-headachey-sniffly cold. Hubbs gave it to me when he suddenly contracted a bad case of the sniffles on Sunday. I tried not to breathe near him, to touch him, to even touch what he had touched, but alas, when you share a bed you also share breathing space. And so, I got sick.

Since my cold began to emerge 2 days ago, I have been taking a few different meds to try to counteract this rather unpleasant condition. The ones that have worked best for me have been Advil Cold & Sinus and Cold MD. It has worked best when I've taken them together. Yes, yes, I know about contraindications between drug cocktails, but here's my question: does that apply to a medicinal drug taken with an herbal supplement consisting mostly of echinnacea, ginseng, ginger, and other such plants


Yesterday I felt like garbage. I was taking each set of pills as prescribed (Cold MD in the morning and at night, and Advil every 4 hours). A few short hours after I went to bed, I was woken up by my stuffy nose and sinus congestion, not to mention an inordinate thirst and need to use to washroom. This was the point at which I decided to take both sets of pills together; it had already been 4 hours since my last Advil intake, and apparently Cold MD is something you can take at any point during the day if you are going to be in a crowded place with potentially-diseased people (don't ask, it is what the label says!). So, I did a dose of each, slammed down a glass of watered-down orange juice, and headed back to bed. I woke up this morning feeling a LOT better. We're talking, 70% better.

Scoff if you will, but I haven't fallen down dead and I don't feel like the walking dead anymore, so if this means I have to take both drugs together, possibly for the next few days, then I will wager my chances with this cocktail.

Incidentally, does anyone know which is supposed to work better: Cold FX or Cold MD? Both plant/herb based, both have "Cold" in the name, and both claim the ability to boost one's immunity to cold viruses. I am curious to know.

Oh, time for another "hit." I'll keep you posted on my condition.


1 comments:

Natalie said...

I would think that mix is ok. I think the problems arise when you take lots of prescription level meds of multiple varieties. I say go with it and continue on the road to wellness.