Friday, April 06, 2007

Facebooked

So I joined up with this new social networking thing called Facebook, and now I am quasi-addicted to it.

I will sometimes sit there for many minutes, searching for new/old friends to invite and to add to my friends list. Sometimes I'll spend time trying to load up pictures, and sometimes I'll just surf to see who my friends' friends are.


It is a pathetic past-time, I will admit. So why are so many people joining up on this?


Here are a few theories:

1) We're all a bunch of insecure people who want to develop an impressive, lengthy friends list in order to appear to be more popular than we actually are, or to assuage our fragile egos.

2) We're all a bunch of narcissists who want to show off our very extensive social networks to others.

3) We're all a bunch of voyeurs with a morbid curiosity about what other people we have known, or been acquainted with, are doing now, or how well/poorly our childhood "friends" have aged over the years.

4) We're all a bunch of bored, pathetic people who have nothing more productive to do with our time.

5) We're looking for love, or for friends, or for both.

6) We have friends who are Facebookers and felt obliged/co-erced into "joining" because of their invitations, but will likely never log in again.

I definitely do not fall into categories 2 and 5, so I think I am probably on Facebook for reasons 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Am I missing any other reasons why people join Facebook? If so, do enlighten me. It continues to be a slightly unhealthy past-time for me.



3 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

I have a justification for my MySpace account - namely, it's the best way to keep in touch with two exchange students that we have formerly hosted. However, neither my current exchange student nor my natural daughter are MySpace friends, partially because it wouldn't look good to have Dad as a friend, and partially because they want some level of privacy.

Our church has two MySpace accounts associated with it. One is for the more casual chapel (our church has two chapels), and is thus targeted toward MySpacers.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Nice. For church purposes and for connecting w/exchange kids. These are far nobler reasons than my own! ;)

Anonymous said...

lol nice avatar