Sunday, March 04, 2007

How To Create a Monster...or Lenten Promises

This year, for Lent, I decided to give up two things that I love very very much: chocolate and coffee.

I have created a monster.

Teaching without coffee is sort of like a bed without pillows; you can get through the day (or night) but it's not all that great an experience, relatively speaking. The kids wonder why you look burnt and haggard first thing in the morning, and fear to ask you too many questions before recess. The heels are dragged into the classroom and the facial expression is dour for the first hour of the day. And then you walk into a staffroom wafting with the fragrance of freshly brewed java delight, and you salivate like Pavlov's dog and fight the urge to call the whole dang thing off. And the process then repeats itself at lunch time, when once again another blissful pot of liquid heaven is percolated for the enjoyment of those less stupid in their Lenten promises than yourself.

Th
ankfully, the chocolate sacrifice is a little easier to deal with, although perhaps it's Murphy's Law that right when you give it up, everyone serves up desserts that involve it as a major ingredient. All of a sudden, in my desire to have something hot that isn't coffee, I have to turn to herbal teas because hot chocolate contains...chocolate.

I've been a rather grumpy girl lately. Gee, I wonder why?

So, it has been almost 2 weeks since Ash Wednesday, and I can proudly say that I've made it through so far without cheating, with the exception of Sundays, which most acknowledge to be freebie days from Lenten commitments. In the past, I haven't taken advantage of the Sunday exemption, but this year, there is no stopping me.

And so I sit and tell you this sordid tale while my hot delicious cup of Second Cup coffee and chocolate chip muffin sit beside me, ready to tame the monster that lives the other six days of the week.


2 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

Somewhere or another on TV (it may have been Good Morning America, or it may have been a local Los Angeles "news" show), they ran a story on a woman who gave up coffee for a week. She felt better at the end of the week, but went right back to drinking coffee again when it was over.

How do you feel on Saturday (as opposed to Monday) after having refrained from coffee for nearly a week?

cristina said...

WOW girl! I don't know if I could do it! I gave up bread/baked products and am finding it WAY hard but figured it would be helpful to me anyway. Of course, I'm downing more coffee these days, I bet! LOL