Friday, March 23, 2007

Foot in Mouth Disease Redux

Is it just me, or is there only a very very fine line between sarcastic, funny, "trash talk" humour (at the expense of self and others) and full-blown inappropriateness and insult?

It seems that there are those, like my Hubbs, who can pull off the whole tongue-in-cheek thing and come off as witty, brilliant, and funny, albeit a little bit self-deprecating in the process. Then there are those who attempt the same type of humour but, owing to either bad timing or a poor choice of medium or improper word selection, end up coming across as awkward and having inadvertently insulted someone.

I must admit that for the most part, I am not a proficient user of sarcasm or the whole "trash talk" thing, which is why I usually avoid using such a voice in my speech and writing. To me, it's better to err on the side of caution and kindness than to risk putting my foot in my mouth and hurting someone's feelings.

But not everyone is like me, and not everyone realizes that they've crossed that fine line between humour and hurt in the way that they use their words.

If you are one of those people, you have a disease. Foot in mouth disease. Please get a cure or stop talking; you're infecting those around you and it's not a pretty sight.

Thanks.


1 comments:

Natalie said...

I totally have that disease but I don't know if I could be any other way. Maybe I need lessons.