Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Prestige

I am really really behind in my movie-viewing, due to having had a very busy January (condensed courses), preceded by a very busy December (Christmas, plus exams and projects). I've also been somewhat of a cheapskate when it has come to paying full (or near-full) price for movie tickets.

Which is why I only finally watched The Prestige last night, and only after being convinced by Hubbs (because *I* had wanted to watch something funny, light, and animated). I didn't even know who was in the movie until it started (Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine and David Bowie - yes, THAT David Bowie).


Anyway, I won't spoil the movie for you, because this is one of those "must-see" sort of movies that will leave you with much to discuss afterwards. The premise of the movie, which I think I can safely share, is about two magicians in the early 20th century (or late 19th century) who enter into a rivalry with one another after a tragic event early on in their careers. The one-upmanship that characterizes their relationship becomes very convoluted and disturbing as their competition escalates.


I was totally on the edge of my seat for most of this movie, even though some parts of it were confusing because of the way that it was presented (in piecemeal fashion, and as retrospectives). The movie was suspenseful and dramatic, and both antagonists (I can't tell who was supposed to be the protagonist!) Bale and Jackman came across as very unlikeable and unsympathetic. The storyline had some very interesting twists and I appreciated that the foreshadowing "clues" didn't really give anything away.

Go watch this movie! It's best viewed with someone you enjoy talking to, because you will probably end up having some very interesting conversations following the flick. Oh, and eat your popcorn before the movie actually gets going, because you may not want to eat once it gets exciting. :)



3 comments:

Natalie said...

That is going on the top of my Netflix stat. I love Christian Bale, and tend to love him more when he is playing a horrible person. Maybe I am sick and have a problem? Thanks for reminding me that this film existed!

Terry Thibodeau said...

I know, hey! That movie was great! I had no expectations as I had never really even seen a preview. Unlike "The Illusionist" (which I found too predictable), this one took nearly until the very end and a bunch of the subtle clues for me to piece things together.

I *THOUGHT* that was David Bowie, but for some reason, I convinced myself that it just didn't quite look enough like David Bowie to actually be him.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

This movie is still on my brain. And people around me still talk about it, so there's still a lot of buzz generated in spite of the fact that the flick has been out for a while now.

I almost want to watch it again to try to pick up the "clues" (if there were any!) now that I know how it ends. :)