Friday, February 23, 2007

Contagious


For my b-day, I would like.... my health! Or a good dose of decongestants. I'm sick, y'all, and not the incapacitated, bed-ridden sick that would allow me to call in to work and not go in. I'm the *other* kind of sick, the kind that makes me feel like absolute garbage (muddled cloudy brain, pressure-laden sinuses, scratchy sore throat, watery droopy eyes, soreness in every part of my body) but somehow is not sufficient excuse for me to stay home because my limbs are miraculously spared the malady.

Is it the fault of the little people I work with all day long? None of them look or act sick, and none have sneezed or coughed on me. However, a good portion of the teachers I know have battled stomach flus and other sorts of colds in the last week. My mentor teacher seems to think that I, along with my student-teaching colleagues, am sick because I haven't built up a strong enough immunity to kid-germs yet. She claims that after a few more years of teaching, I will be healthy as a horse and invincible to the colds and coughs and flus brought into my classroom by my kids.

Regardless of the origins of my condition, I am rather displeased that I should fall ill on the weekend right before my b-day. I had much better plans in mind than, you know, going to bed at 9:00 p.m. and nursing my sore throat and drippy nose. But unfortunately, it looks like I have little choice but to rest and drink a bazillion litres of fluids in a feeble bid to force my body into health once more.

*sniff* Happy birthday to me, indeed. =(


7 comments:

Catherine_Jane said...

Happy Birthday Helen! Try some neo-ctran... it worked for Justice on so many levels!

janeylynne said...

Awwww....that sucks! I was really, really sick ON my birthday a few years ago. It was incredibly horrid. Hopefully, yours will pass much more quickly than mine did.

and Happy Birthday!

Ontario Emperor said...

Being "sort of sick" is the worst kind of sick. But have a good birthday anyway!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes! The cold has continued to linger for tonight's festivities, but thankfully I wasn't so congested as to lose my sense of smell and taste.

I am sniffly, sneezy, and stuffed up though. It's gonna be a long road to Tuesday (the actual B-day).

Natalie said...

Happy pre-birthday. I hope you wake up feeling wonderful.

cristina said...

Hope you have a great birthday honey! miss you and thinking of you!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thank you thank you everyone!

It was a wonderful day...(see post above) and I was well pampered and loved, even though I was sniffly and my throat hurt and I was starting to cough in a yucky phlegmy way that day.