Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Okay, A Happy New Year

Hallelujah, I can breathe again! And even taste food (although now I can barely hear anyone owing to my plugged ears)!


So, onward and upward to 2007. I am excited about this year. I have a feeling that it's going to be a great one, and one that has a definitive impact on Hubbs' and my future, at least for another couple of years.

Highlights of the year will include:

-a quickie trip to Victoria (it has been nearly a decade since I've been there)
-24: Day 6 (starts January 14th, biatches!)
-my sister's wedding
-my graduation
-my securing of a full-time teaching job (God-willing)

-our purchase of our first new car
-our purchase of our first home

-my first set of 4-pack abs (God-willing)
-our first ever grown-up bedroom set

There's more, I'm sure. 2007 is a year of promise and hope and direction and change, and I look forward to all of it.


Now, onto resolutions. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions anymore. I believe in every day resolutions. As a result of my expensive education and training in pedagogy =) and learning, I've concluded that effective people are reflective people. That is, the most successful people in the world set goals, carry them out, and then self-evaluate their action plans on an ongoing basis. During that reflection time, one examines what they've done, how they've been successful, and how they can improve. These examinations are then applied to their next set of goals and action plans, and the cycle continues to achieve greater effectiveness and success.

Obviously, then, such a thing cannot be limited to once a year on January 1st, because we all make decisions and accomplish goals every day, every week, every month. As a result, we need to reflect on our actions and choices every day, every week, and every month, not just on an annual basis as part of our cheesy dinner rituals on New Year's Day. I believe that reflection, and the resultant self-awareness, is what ultimately leads to effective and successful people, not the establishment of once-a-year resolutions that get abandoned after a mere 3 weeks of half-hearted devotion.

So, my resolution is not to set a bunch of New Year's resolutions, but to be more conscious and reflective about what I do each day. This encompasses what I eat, how I spend my time and money, what I say, and how I teach or interact with others, be it my Hubbs or my students or my other friends and family.

And that's all I have to say about that. =)



1 comments:

Natalie said...

It sure does sound like a big year! Congrats on so many wonderful things coming in the near future. I second your thoughts on resolutions. Goals are something you choose to make at the right time, not because you are supposed to.