Saturday, January 27, 2007

Delicious Weekends

Every so often, I just have to blog about how awesome my life is, not because I want to brag or rub anyone's face in it, but simply because it helps me to reflect and be thankful. Today is one of those days.

I am on a weekend getaway / working holiday with Hubbs; he did a two-part presentation on RUBY (yes, her) and RUBY on Rails (sort of like her on speed), and I came along to be his P.A.

Reason #1 for my life being awesome: we're staying at the Marriott, which is
hands-down one of the most fantastic hotels in Vic. It's right in the heart of downtown, within walking distance to some must-see major attractions. The hotel is a little more upscale, so it gives out Bath & Body Works amenities (which I love!). As well, the workout facilities here are first-class; we're talking all upper-end Precor cardio machines (treadmills, bikes, recumbent cycles, and x-trainers), a bench and free weights, a universal gym, free workout towels, and a water dispenser! Oh...and 3 TVs within the workout room, which looks out onto the patio, and into the pool/hot tub area.

Reason #2 for awesomeness: last night I had a glorious sleep on a very comfortable king-sized bed with an abundance of down pillows, a down comforter, and way too much room, allowing me to do near-acrobatics in my sleep without hitting poor Hubbs in the face. This, following a very satisfying, decidedly gigantic "Love Boat for Two" sushi dinner at Yokohama. (Reason #3).

After rolling out of bed this morning, I went for that kick-ass workout. Then, I paid a little visit to the Bay Centre ,which was surprisingly close to the hotel. Of course, I did have to return to the hotel to do some homework during the early afternoon, but this was followed by another leisurely walk in brisk, 4 degrees Celsius weather, to a nearby Blenz Coffee, where I enjoyed a much-needed cup of afternoon energy. (Reasons #4, 5, and 6).

Hubbs was gone nearly all day with his coding cronies, so I had room service (6 oz. top round steak with potato latke and veggies) delivered up, and enjoyed a nice tasty (though expensive!) dinner on my own (Reason #7). When Hubbs returned, we headed down and soaked in the hot tub until we were prunes (Reason #8), at which point we made a quick stop at the steam room to detox before high-tailing it back to the room, where I slipped into the very comfy terry-cotton robe supplied by the hotel (Reason #9). Which brings me to now.

I am so thankful for the mental break that a short getaway trip like this can bring! Sure, it ain't free and thus cannot be made into a monthly sort of thing, but every so often I appreciate being able to go somewhere else. It refreshes and rejuvenates me, and I am so grateful that Hubbs and I have had the freedom to do this kind of stuff once in a while. This is why my life is awesome; I have been blessed with opportunities to do and experience a lot of great things, which I believe are gifts from a very gracious God to a very undeserving me.

So in a nutshell, that's what I've been up to. Tomorrow = more food, more fun, and more exploring before Hubbs and I fly home.

What a great life!




2 comments:

Steven said...

Why is there only Blendz coffee in BC and no Second Cup coffee like in Alberta? I wish there was Blendz here.

Natalie said...

It's great to reflect on the good things in life and it lets us imagine we're there too. Keep sharing!