Sunday, January 21, 2007

Copycat Art

This is my proudest work to date in Art class. The task: paint the cover to one of your favourite children's books using tempera paints and choosing either monochromatic, analogous, or complementary colours.

I can barely remember all of the books I read as a youngster, much less pick a favourite! However, the Toad and Frog series by Arnold Lobel came to mind (as did Roger Hargreaves' Mr. Men series, but those would've been too "easy" to paint). I busted my butt and worked for hours drawing and painting and mixing paints for this project. Here's my completed work, followed by the original:


I think I shed a few pounds off of both characters =) because my zoomed in, printed image (shown) is actually a slightly stretched version of the original, but overall, I was surprisingly impressed with my work. We'll see what my prof thinks when I go to submit this during the week! Man, I hope I get an A. =S

Oh..and here are a few Matisse-inspired collages I made, done as examples for a lesson activity for Gr. 1-2 kids:





5 comments:

janeylynne said...

Great pictures, Mrs. L! Art was always one of my favorite classes in grade school. I can barely draw a stick figure, but I do love the kinesthetic learning. The very last picture is very Matisse-y. I like it!

superstarjo said...

I am very impressed. I never knew you had it in you!!

Congrats, Big Sis :)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Janeylynne - Thanks! I titled that last piece, "Free at Last!" Any guesses what I might be referring to? ;) And yes, I am starting to fall in love with kinesthetic learning all over again.

Superstar - Thanks! I didn't know I had it in me either! I think it's a come-and-go sort of skill; I have it sometimes when it is something I am interested in doing well on, but it's not this random skill that I can apply to all things (or even many things) artsy.

Natalie said...

Frog and Toad books are some of my favorites. They are so adorable. I loved your rendition. I think it may look even better than the original. Art is wonderful but I have always been more successful at the abstract loud shapes and colors kind of stuff. Your work is wonderful.

Ridley Thunder said...

I saw the original Matisse in London, and it was very impressive. This is impressive as well. Keep it up