Happy New Year, everyone!
I'll post about 2007 later, but for now let me say that the first 2 days of the new year have been miserable for me, thanks to the cold I seem to have acquired from staying with my in-laws over the holidays. My head feels totally stuffed up due to my over-congested nasal cavities, and my body is sore even though I haven't seen a piece of gym equipment in 2 weeks.
I've done the Advil Cold & Sinus thing (Day & Night), but drugs only reduce the symptoms; they don't cure my agony. And this set of drugs doesn't even completely reduce the symptoms, which is why tonight I resorted to looking up home remedies to use on my cold. One that I read about, prescribed wearing wet socks to bed (layered with cotton and wool socks that were dry). I didn't try that one, though I was sorely tempted to and most curious. I lacked the wool socks, you see.
Another site recommended the following, some of which I have done:
1) Know when NOT to treat the symptoms - Done.
2) Blow your nose often (and the right way) - Done.
3) Treat the stuffy nose with warm salt water.
4) Stay warm and rested. - Done.
6) Drink hot liquids. - Done. In process of having a "hot toddy," too.
7) Take a steamy shower. - Done.
8) Use a salve under your nose. - Done.
9) Apply hot and cold packs around congested sinuses.
10) Sleep with an extra pillow under your head. - Done.
11) Don't fly unless necessary. - Done.
12) Eat infection-fighting foods. - Can't (I'm pseudo-allergic to half that stuff!)
So I've done like more than 8 of those suggested things. So far, no good. I'll keep you posted on the "hot toddy" results, since I'm starting to feel a buzz from the shooter-glass of rye that I added to my chamomile tea. In that sense, I guess I'm feeling pretty darn good, right?
Any other ideas of remedies to help relieve my agony? I'm open to all suggestions, and would like to see this cold go away ASAP (preferably before Friday, when I have lunch with my benefactor for one of my scholarships).
Did I mention? I hate colds. What a crappy way to start off a kick-ass new year! =(