Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I'm Team Kelly on This One


So, in case you hadn't heard, Clay Aiken was guest hosting on Live with Regis and Kelly. And during an interview, he put his yucky dirty hand over her mouth, presumably as a joke to keep her from talking.

She didn't think it was very funny, and frankly, neither did I! Rosie O'Donnell went all Team Clay on Kelly, though, during a recent episode of the View, prompting poor Kelly to have to call in to the show to put Rosie in her place.

Personally, I think it was totally rude of Clay to cover her mouth, particularly since a) she was the host and it was her show, b) there's this thing called personal space that everyone should respect regardless of how famous they are, and c) this was broadcast live over many states and provinces, so Kelly had to be humiliated in front of a bazillion people! Though I realize he probably didn't mean to offend, the point is that he did, and he should probably apologize to her publically for his actions.

To me, the whole incident is tantamount to having a guest speaker come into my classroom and tell me (in front of my entire class) that my desk arrangement sucks. Or having a guest come into your home and tell you (in front of all of your friends and family) that your decor is ugly. Or inviting someone to sit with you only to have them put their hand on your knee. Entirely inappropriate.

Anyway, I have lost what little respect I had left for Clay Aiken now. And I love Kelly Ripa, so it's Team Kelly all the way!


9 comments:

Natalie said...

yeah clay is bogus. I hear he is on tyra today, maybe he will be defending his actions as it seems so many stars have had to do of late.

The Igloo Coder said...

Does this mean I have to stop doing this to your hubby? Cause if I do I'm going to resort to just taking swings at him ;)

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I didn't watch Tyra today Natalie - did he try to justify himself?

And IC - are you talking about the hand over the mouth or the hand on the knee? Cuz, um..., one is even less appropriate than the other ;)

Justice~! said...

So were you trying to compare yourself to Clay Aiken then, Igloo?

Is there something you're trying to tell us?

Steven R said...

At least her guest host wasn't Micheal Richards...I-O!

Catherine_Jane said...

I would've at least thought Steve would've nerded it up on the thermos problem!

Ridley Thunder said...

I'm sorry to say I don't know why this is such a big deal. It was rude, but come on, this seems like two old ladies bickering over their place in line at Safeway.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Ridley - I personally think it's a bigger deal because his sexuality is in question (or, if Rosie has "outed" him, that he is gay). Some homosexuals out there (ROSIE) are making it about that, whereas some others are making it about Kelly Ripa being a diva.

I think it's about social etiquette and the degeneration thereof. People are making a stink now about how Kelly did the same thing to Regis, and yet I keep thinking it's a different issue when it is someone you know and love and work with and trust, versus a stranger.

Lemme put it this way: I'd be okay if my sister or my best friends put their hand over my mouth, but I would not be so okay if one of Hubbs' friends (who I barely know) did the same.

Social etiquette says you don't do that to strangers/near-strangers! Gross.

And Steve - Michael Richards wouldn't have done that hand thing, nor the rant, if he was on the morning show. Because she's not black, nor Jewish.

Boo Kramer!

Ontario Emperor said...

Actually, the episode (which I didn't really know about when it happened) makes me appreciate Regis Philbin all the more. Playing the game WWRD, you figure that Regis would have come up with a verbal remark rather than a physical action, and that the verbal remark would have been witty.

Of course, the whole thing is due to a lack of experience. Ripa has years of interviewing experience, and Aiken just wasn't able to jump in to the conversation.