Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Departed



Love, love, love it! Saw it last night with Superstarjo, Hubbs, and Space Max. The movie was not quite the same as the original Infernal Affairs (changed context, setting, ending) but it was an intense thrill-ride for sure. It was a tad gory/bloody but you know, I didn't have to look away all the time, the way that I had to for S.O.A.P., and the violence was definitely more part of the plot-line than it was for gratuitous shock-value purposes.

Of course, the movie was long and in some ways, I felt underdeveloped where character relationships were concerned; to really play up the surrogate father-son theme, the movie needed to deepen the bond of the two main characters and their respective "surrogate dads" a little more thoroughly. That would definitely have added impact to the story.

I thought that most of the actors did a stellar job in the movie (although I hear critics are torn about this); the only actor that I thought could have spiced it up a bit was Martin Sheen - he played his role a little too conservatively and mildly, and while this enhanced Mark Wahlberg's character effectiveness, it really made Sheen seem sort of bland and ineffective by contrast.

Overall, though, a great movie and one that is best seen on a big screen. I highly recommend it for an adrenalin-rush experience that will leave you wanting to grab coffee with your counterparts to discuss and debrief (which we did over apple pie a la mode).


7 comments:

Mike said...

I pretty much agree with all your saying, I loved it, but your criticisms are right.

You failed to mention MATT DAMON's hilarious swearing though.

I'm defo gonna buy it when it's out (will it be as soon as Christmas? DVDs come out so fast these days.. Think of the Special Features!

Wobbly*Bits said...

I LOOOVED it, I thought it was a great film. It was like 100 hours long and I didn't notice because it was so good. I have some questions but I'm afraid they'll be spoilers for others...

Catherine_Jane said...

I didn't mind this flick but damn if I didn't sit there at the end and say "this isn't seriously the end is it?" ... and then sure enough, up came this nice stylized letters : The End. Boo-urns!

Catherine_Jane said...

PS: Go see Borat instead!

Wobbly*Bits said...

Catherine_Jane I kind of felt the same way at the end, but now I appreciate it because I have gotten to discuss the movie and my theories with everyone else who has read it.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

The ending is still a tad, um, *abrupt.* And obviously very different from Infernal Affairs, since IA 2 and 3 came out subsequent to the original. I don't know if the Departed could ever become a trilogy ;)

And I saw Borat. And it was veh-wy naahh-ice. =D

(*review to come*)

Ridley Thunder said...

I'm still undecided on the ending. I don't know if I like it or hate it. I'm leaning on the liking side.