Monday, October 23, 2006

Something Gross and Something Sweet

Yes, I am still thick in midterm mode so my brain is full and I have little room to spare for deep-thought blogging.

So instead, I will share with you two things I witnessed last week - something gross and something nice.

Last Wed., en route to the train station, I was walking up our "hill" and noticed an aerial projectile launched from my left, to the sidewalk just ahead of me. It was small and I assume it came from the vehicle that was stopped on the road for the red light, just left of the sidewalk. When I passed this projectile (and the occupants of the vehicle), I saw that it was a piece of chewed gum that they had rudely tossed out their slightly-open passenger-side window to the pavement. Luckily it had not landed on me (in which case keys and a scratched car would have been the scene to follow). However, it was nonetheless a disgusting booby-trap for any other hapless passerby who might step on these idiots' gum. Gross, eh? I definitely cast these littering fools a menacing look as I continued walking, although I was sorely tempted to pick up the gum with a tissue, walk up to their vehicle, and say, "Excuse me, I think you dropped this."

Same morning, post-gum incident and post-train ride, I was taking the escalators up the train station (I'm too lazy to walk up all those steps, don't judge me) and noticed a couple standing on the steps in front of me. The guy was a strapping young lad, tall and athletic in build; his girlfriend was slight and short and looked less-than-strong. Anyway, I watched him take her large and presumably heavy school bag from her, and he carried both his textbook-laden bag and hers the rest of the way, one on each shoulder. I was so impressed by his chivalry that I nearly stopped him to tell him so, but figured better after I realized that I was running close to being late for class ;)

Anyway, just a nice reminder that a)the world is still full of scummy gross people, but b)the world is also still full of kind, sweet chivalrous folks too.




1 comments:

Wobbly*Bits said...

It's true. Just when I start to lose all faith in humanity, something comes along to make me believe again.