Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hot Potting with Hubbs & Me

Briefly - over the weekend my lil' sis Toothy (SuperstarJo) and her man Goofy had us over (along with my other sis Vanilla Con, Benster, my little bro, and his current girlfriend) for hot pot.

It was a jolly good time, and I kicked some butt at poker, including Hubbs' butt! I came in second and that was only because I was tired and wanted the game to end (who goes all-in when they have nothing?!).


Anyway, here we are (and Hubbs decided he didn't want his picture taken, which explains the expression):


I have decided that I really like hot-potting (Chinese fondue, if you will). It's relatively healthy and very delicious, and it forces me to eat my veggies. All good things.

(Revised version for Natalie who asked how hot potting is done)

Hot pot requires very few fancy gadgets. All you need is a gas-burning portable stove (available at most Chinese supermarkets for less than $20), a couple of butane gas cartridges from the same supermarket, some stainless steel scoops, several pairs of chopsticks and many dishes and bowls, and you're good to go!

For the food:
- Asian v
eggies (we like baby bok choy, suey choy, choi sum, and those skinny Japanese mushrooms)
- thinly sliced raw meat available at the larger Chinese supermarkets (we like lamb, pork, and beef)
- fish balls (it's an Asian thing and a meat-mixture that contains either beef, pork, fish, chicken, or octopus and other carb "fillers" mixed into a paste and shaped into balls)
- seafood (we like shrimp and scallop but I've seen shucked oysters done too)
- fresh noodles (we prefer egg noodles and rice noodles, but some really enjoy vermicelli or thick Shanghai noodles)
- sauces (Hoisin, soy, chili, garlic, peanut, teriyaki, and any other Asian thick sauce)

Everyone mixes their own combination of sauce in their own little dipping bowls. Then, you heat a big ol' pot (3/4 full) of clear broth or water in the pot over the burner until it boils, and begin putting pieces of raw meat and veggies into the boiling water using appropriate "raw food utensils". As the food is cooked, the little stainless steel scooper is used to scoop the food out of the pot and onto your plate. You dip your food into your sauce, or add some of your sauce to the food on your plate.

The pot is communal so anything that is put in there is fair game for anyone to take, once it is cooked. It's definitely an exercise in sharing. As well, be sure not to use your own chopsticks to grab stuff out of the pot or to handle the raw meat, and save your scoop for the cooked stuff. Finally, make sure not to overfill the pot or else nothing will cook quickly and stuff will begin to spill over.

After some of the veggies and meat have cooked, start cooking the noodles. These cook quite quickly and get soggy from soaking so make sure you don't cook too much at once, and eat quickly after cooking!

This multi-hour food fest continues until everyone has had their fill of food, in which case it's time for dessert! =D After a heavy meal (even though it's healthy, it can still be heavy), I recommend fruit or Jello or something light.

And that, my friend, is hot potting, Mrs. L style!

PS - Some cities also have restaurants that offer hot potting. If you find one of these, it is a blast to go to with a group of 4-8 people, and usually not that expensive, either.


10 comments:

Natalie said...

I am very intersted in this hot potting of which you speak. Details? Can I use my fondue pot to do it?

Steven R said...

Sweet, that picture is photoshop gold!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Uh oh... now Hubbs is gonna kill me. =S

Mike said...

That sounds and looks equally good and nice.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Hot potting is absolutely fantastic, not just "nice," Mike! My Asian-fare taste buds have been flaring up as of late, and this has been hitting the spot.

As for the picture...Hubbs has forgiven me for putting it up without consulting with him first. A relief, since it truly was my bad (but I liked how *I* looked in the pic!). ;)

Wobbly*Bits said...

Um....yes please. I'll take one.

I am also quite the poker shark. Well, I suck at poker but I love it and play with confidence!

Seriously though, gimme some hot pot.

Igloo Coder said...

I think Mr.Hubby looks like he just had his second umbrella drink. Did he go deep on Tequila Sunsets or Lime Margaritas this time?

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I know you won't believe me, Igloo Coder, but he was stone-cold sober when that picture was taken. I think he had *one* Stewart's Lime Soda, plus some non-boozy punch and water, all night.

And besides, he is a caesar man. If he is going to drink something mixed, it'll usually be a spicy caesar, not the fruity stuff. That's *my* thing.

Natalie said...

I'm so trying this in my fondu pot

Ridley Thunder said...

Hahahaha....Justice looks like he just pooped a turtle