Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! or Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!


This weekend marks Canadian Thanksgiving, but it also marks the Lunar Festival, or Mid-Autumn Festival, in the Chinese calendar. I know, I forgot about it too (it was on Friday, Oct. 6 this year). For my family, it is a time of coming together to celebrate family, the "harvest" of the year, and to admire the beauty of the full moon with one another. It's also a time to share moon cakes and a meal with each other. My parents are celebrating without their children and their parents this year (we're all not in their city), but hopefully they will find a way to celebrate nonetheless. Anyway, I digress...

In regards to Thanksgiving, it's unfortunate that we only take one day out the year to give thanks, because, if you think about it, there is a lot to be thankful for every single day of our lives.

Here's what I am thankful for today:

-a pair of eyes that can see the beauty of autumn
-a pair of operable arms and legs that can walk through the crunchy leaves and play among them
-a pair of operate ears that can hear laughter
-a special group of people I call "family" who love me and accept me, and who I love and accept
-a husband who is in the same city as me, rather than sever
al continents/15 hours of time zone/13 hours by flight away
-a God who is always here with me, and who gives me the strength and hope to live each day with joy

Of course, there are tons of other items that can go on my list of blessings to be thankful for, including many material possessions (i.e., roof over my head, c
lothes on my back, vehicle, shoes, computer...). However, those things are really just gravy, because if I continue to be blessed with the stuff I have already listed at the top, then I am a truly a blessed person.

What are you thankful for today?

May you find reason to celebrate and give thanks, not only today, but tomorrow and every day after that.




2 comments:

Wobbly*Bits said...

I'm thankful for my parents. Everything about them. How they support me emotionall, that they're healthy, their generosity.

I'm missing them a lot right now.. :( This twice a year crap ain't gonna cut it.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my wife, as SHE IS THE BEST~!!