Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why I Should Never Read for Fun

Two things happen:
1) I lose track of time and subsequently, productivity, and
2) I am often challenged and convicted by what I read.

I recently inhaled two novels: This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti, and Death Watch, by Jack Cavanaugh and Jerry Kuiper. The latter was consumed in a matter of two hours this morning.

The first book, which I have read several times before, reminded me about the importance of prayer and the reality of an enemy that looks to destroy God's people.

The second book, an allegory of sorts, hit my spirit hard.
Though I initially thought the book was pretty contrived, in the end I came to appreciate its message condemning our generation of believers for not caring about our neighbours' eternal condition. If we knew that someone we cared for was about to die in 48 hours unless they accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, would we tell them about Him in order to save their lives? The book compares the situation of people randomly dying due to their receipt of a "Death Watch" notice, to people who are dying every day without knowing the Lord; the point is that the physical death of a person is worth preventing, but even more so is the spiritual death!

Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them. - Eccl. 9:12

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. - Matt. 10:28

Anyway, I was pretty convicted by this book, and it definitely gave me pause to consider the last time I told anyone about the One I serve. So maybe I will do that in the next couple of blog posts, if you don't mind. If you aren't interested in hearing it or feel offended by my story, feel free to skip to my less-provacative, non-religion-based posts. And if you are interested, please stick around and enjoy!

2 comments:

Wynn said...

I can totally relate to the time warp of books. But as a former Stephen King obsessed reader, I try to avoid Frank Perretti. He, himself is an awesome speaker, but his books bring back too many old feelings. I'll have to keep my eye out for Death watch, and as for the rest of the blog... YOU GO GIRL!!!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks Wynn!

I am really going through a spiritual-warfare-Christian-fiction phase of my reading life. It isn't one that usually lasts too long, but since Francine Rivers (romance-Christian-fiction) hasn't written anything of note recently that is available at the library, I haven't been enticed out of my current phase yet.

I may re-attack the "Mark of the Lion" series by Rivers, though; talk about romantic inspiration! ;)