Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Van City Here I Come!

As you all know, one of my fave cities in all the world is Vancouver. Well, Hubbs was very sweet yesterday and granted me my wish of going back to Van for a long-weekend getaway in November! =D

I am so excited, especially since we're staying at a different nice hotel (the Georgian Court Hotel) this time, and we're also renting a vehicle, which means adventuring to more diverse parts of the metro area! Of course, chances are we will still end up in Granville at the market, and in Richmond (although I think their night market will be closed by then...booo!), and at Stanley Park, but we may also venture to parts unknown.

Any recommendations, folks?


We're also going to be looking for good, affordable eats this time around. We've already done the Lumiere thing, and the Tojo's thing, and even the Joe Forte's thing. We've been to the Sandbar Restaurant, Sequoia Grill (the Teahouse at Stanley Park), Paul's Place Omelettery, Milestones, and even Cactus Club. Now we want to visit affordable, healthy, and funky eateries. Something that won't cost us a bazillion dollars or gain us a bazillion pounds.

Again, I welcome all suggestions!

5 comments:

The Igloo Coder said...

I've never been, but you could try C Restaurant. Apparently my cousin is the Chef de Cuisine. The menu looks great, but it's a little pricy.

Another great thing to do is ride the Sea Bus over to Lonsdale Quay. There are a couple of decent restaurants right at the quay and more in North Van if you want to drive around the North Van area.

If you do get the car, certainly take the time to drive out to Deep Cove and just hang. It's a great spot to go and feel like the city is a million miles away.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Igloo C! I think we will probably do a day of driving up "north," although I'm not certain *where* in North Van we'd be going; Deep Cover does sound remarkably relaxing and quaint, though! C Restaurant looks good, and looks like it's around the same calibre as Rob Feenie's Lumiere, although the new Lumiere tasting menu has gone up in price to an alarming $165/person now!! I almost want to save C Restaurant for a more memorable occasion, like an anniversary or birthday, but we'll see.

Any more ideas? Cheaper ones? ;)

janeylynne said...

Always wanted to go to Vancouver. When's the best time of year to go, Mrs. L.?

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Anytime is a good time to go, actually! =D But then again, I am biased to death. I think the summer is the most beautiful, though; their flowers are in maximum bloom and the sun shines for a long time during the day. The nightlife is very active and exciting, and on weekends in the summer they have an outdoor Chinese market that sells the cheapest things this side of the Pacific ;)

I sure do love Van!

Wobbly*Bits said...

Have fun going oot and aboot!