Friday, September 01, 2006

Croc Love

Call me a follower, call me a sell-out, but I did it. I bought myself a pair of Crocs. They're the "Beach" style, and I chose the ever-practical colour of black. I bought mine during my vacation, after I saw my bro-in-law and soon-to-be-sis-in-law sporting them and heard them raving about them. They bought my GrannyB a pair, and soon after that, I was convinced that I needed a pair too.

My initial apprehension to getting Crocs was actually due to its rather uncomely design; it looked really big and clunky and wide, and I thought it would look absolutely horrendous with anything I wore. I changed my mind, though, when I bought my medium-sized Crocs; they don't look as imposing because they are smaller than the larger ones worn by my dad and others I've seen. I thought my Crocs actually looked pretty cute when worn with jeans on the rainy last day of my trip.

Some other advantages of these shoes:

-they're super-lightweight
-they have an amazing non-slip grip
-they're very soft and well-padded ("orthotic foot bed")
-they mold to your feet
-they're anti-microbial and odor resistant
-you don't have to wear socks with them (in fact, you probably shouldn't wear socks with them!)
-they're nice and wide
-my toes can breathe in them (I have claustrophobic digits)

They were also relatively cheap, although the knock-offs of the Crocs (and Dawgs) are even cheaper. Unfortunately, savvy consumers beware! The cheaper versions may not have the anti-slip, anti-microbial, odor-free features of these two original lines of shoes.

Anyway, I know you've lost a few notches of respect for me now, but at least I know my feet will be comfortable while I'm wearing my new favourite casual shoes. If you don't believe me that these are one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, just head out to your local sports store and try on a pair for yourself, and see! I'll make a believer of you yet.

4 comments:

janeylynne said...

Always think about buying them, because everyone raves about them, but I haven't bought them yet. I know that several nurse friends love them and say they're uber-comfy...I'm sure once the trend has ended, I'll end up purchasing them... ;p

wobbly*comment said...

I'm totally in support of crocks! I'm on board with any footwear, trendy or not, that's comfy. I tried to follow the trends of the super pointy super high heels and failed miserably.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I, too, am the not-so-proud owner of a pair of deadly-high 3" pointy-toed stilettos. They hurt my feet when worn for more than 10 minutes, which is why they remain in my shoe closet. Glad that trend has passed for now.

Crocs *are* uber-comfortable, esp. for people with wide feet/bunions/other foot conditions, or those who are on their feet all day.

Sometimes I think vanity needs to take a backseat to comfort, and this is one of those cases!

Nome said...

No respect lost. And if it weren't the end of the summer I might go out and buy some for myself!