Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Arbitrary Sizing ... Or Our Overweight Youth?

So remember how I bought that t-shirt from my faculty a few days ago? And remember how I got a swag t-shirt from the supplement shop a few weeks before that?

Well, there seems to be some arbitrary sizing going on with my t-shirts these days. My new t-shirt, sized Adult Small, is a tad on the tight side (but that's okay because I am planning on losing some weight in the very near future). My free swag t-shirt, which fits just right (snug and loose in all the right places), is sized a Youth Medium. So explain me this: how is it that an adult's *small* is smaller than a youth's *medium*?!?!?!?

I understand my size range and the need to be flexible with my sizes depending on the label/designer/store, but I don't understand the arbitrary nature of this sizing. Do t-shirts not have a sizing standard to which they all adhere? Are our youth becoming so "unpleasantly plump" that they actually wear bigger medium t-shirts than adults who would wear a small? Or are youth-mediums actually just the same size as adult-mediums?

Someone clear the confusion for me, please!


5 comments:

Ridley Thunder said...

it's whoever makes the t-shirt. Designer t-shirts are ridiculously small fitted adn generic t-shirts are ridiculously over fitted. I dunno why. Maybe they think fat people don't have money

Wobbly*bits said...

I think it's a combination of inconsistent and vanity sizing. I don't see the vanity aspect so much right here, since if that were the case the adult small would be larger than you'd expect so people could feel good about wearing it. I imagine it's just dang inconsistency! I thought I'd found the perfect jeans from the Gap, but they only had one pair in my size, so I ordered two more from their website. Same exact style, cut, etc. Big mistake. The other two fit, but not the same way, and they weren't nearly as flattering.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

True enough! I have 2 pairs of GAP jeans that are *exactly* the same. One pair got shrunk in the washer by Hubbs, and wouldn't you know it, they both still fit approximately the same on me because the newer non-shrunken pair was actually tailored smaller than my original pair!

As for the t-shirt (designer vs. generic), I think that both of mine are actually generic; neither is a "major brand" by any stretch and they were both produced for promo purposes. That is why the variation and size discrepancy is so confusing!

Natalie said...

That is just nutty. I think women's sizes need to get some regulated standards like men's sizes or else just go my measurement. Its too hard to take three of every garment into a fitting room!

Wobbly*bits said...

I actually think I read that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16 in her day, but if you look at her she'd be like a size 8 or 10 today. Sizes are getting smaller and smaller, soon plus sizes will start at 6!