Saturday, August 19, 2006

Not So Fat After All!

During my most recent check-up, the doctor tried to tell me that I was severely overweight (borderline obese) based on my BMI. I tried to tell her that I am healthy, that my muscles are dense and I have thick heavy bones which contribute to the slightly higher number on the scale, and that I am not in danger of heart attacks and high cholesterol and diabetes and high blood pressure because I know that I am healthy; I'm not convinced that she believed me.


Well, she may need to eat her words now. My tests all came back smack in the middle of normal (even my blood pressure was a *perfect* reading), and now this: according to a recent study by the Mayo Clinic, a measure of health is no longer so much about the BMI as it may be about the waist-hip ratio (see study here). Their study has found that the better predictor of heart disease risk is one's waist-to-hip ratio; furthermore, those with a slightly higher-than-average BMI have actually been less susceptible to heart attacks and have also had better survival rates than those who have a lower BMI.

So, for all you ladies out there with wider hips and relatively narrower waists, this is awesome news confirming that our hourglassish figures will keep us living longer and better than all those skinny-minnies out there =D

2 comments:

Wobbly*Bits said...

I far prefer your method! I also never really trusted the old BMI...I think it could be off in either direction. I actually know friends who are my height and weight, or possible weigh more than I do but are "smaller"; wear a smaller size, look better in a bikini, etc. 'Splain me that one!

I love my curves, I love my curves, I love my curves, I love my curves...

Mrs. Loquacious said...

It has to do with muscle, I think. 1 pound of muscle is way smaller than 1 pound of fat, even though it's the same weight. This is why there are girls who (I'm guessing) probably weigh less than I do but have bigger tummies that protrude further than their boobs (from a side profile). They're flabby and non-muscular.

I, on the other hand, would like to think that I have a bit of muscle on my frame. This might be why my massage therapist said my muscles were dense and hard to work on! ;) I'm a fiesty compact package!