Monday, August 28, 2006

My Big Fat Family Vacation


Not that I'm complaining. I'm blogging remote from the Rockies, where the air is dry and cool and fresh and the nights are pitch black darkness and days are blazing with sun, where tourists swarm local shops and eateries and where people like me go to relax and indulge and get fat.

So far, here's the recap:


-Arrival, hotel check-in & upgrade in rooms for one night due to overbooking. Inconvenient but nice to get a $60 value bonus for free, right?


-Pre-dinner drinks in the grandparents' suite; they b
ring their own mix and snacks and present an impressive spread away from home

-Dinner at a fancy lodge restaurant: I eat delicious duck breast

-Post-dinner drinks and visiting at the grandparents' suite

-Morning delivery of McDonalds hotcakes (thanks Grampa!); breakfast with the grandparents

-Shopping the local stores and basking in sunshine and fresh air

-Lunch at a local pub and grill, where the food is delicious but service sucks (and where Hubbs & I remark that for a tourism-driven hamlet such as this, the remarkably poor service is surprising to see); I have the chicken grill burger with side sweet potato fries and garden salad

-Canada's best ice cream at COWS; I have the coffee-toffee-chocolate shavings blend

-Pre-dinner drinks and gift-opening in the grandparents' suite again

-Fancy steak dinner and a good time had by all; I inhale my 10 oz. CAB sirloin steak and we all share the sides of asparagus, scalloped potatoes, grilled veggies, wild rice pilaf, and sauteed mushrooms (oh, and don't forget the apps - calamari & sauteed shrimp)

-Post-dinner drinks and dessert to be shared by everyone


-Ukrainian Rummy played by 8; my arse is kicked and I finish in second-last place (out of 8). Blaming my non-Ukrainian heritage for this loss

-Midnight soak in the jetted 2-person jacuzzi tub; a near pass-out in the tub forces us to go to bed

-Early morning family breakfast at the hotel restaurant; we wisely opt not to do buffet and all order a la carte


-Post-breakfast Net-surf and jacuzzi soak

Which brings me to right now. Soon I'll be headed to a fondu
e house for tasty wild game cooked in boiling oil. Next, I have a facial booked. Then, some shopping to accomplish. And I'll keep ya posted on the rest.

Man, I love being on vacation! =)





4 comments:

Nome said...

Sounds like a tasty vacation. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Natalie said...

On my last mini-vacation I was lucky enough to have a room with a 2 person jacuzzi tub. I learned that adding lots of bubble bath and turning the jets on pre-tub filling is fun but very messy. Think the 70s Willy Wonka scene with the marshmallow fluff car.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

We were up to our ears in bubbles (yes, 2-person jetted tub) and I was actually getting quite sick of the white stuff near the end of my soak. Of course, my Hubbs loved the bubbly fun.

Wobbly*Bits said...

Great, I just ate dinner and now I'm hungry....Mmmmmm