Tuesday, August 08, 2006

More, More, More!


Remember the time when you refused to clean off your plate because you were full, and your parents made you sit there and eat it all? I do.

Remember the time when you ate all of your entree because it tasted so good, only to feel the consequences of overeating 20 minutes later? I do.

Anyway, I think my body's "I am full - Do not feed!" sensors are busted. This must have happened sometime between toddlerhood and now. I'm pretty sure the sensors were there when I was an infant; I am almost certain that when I didn't want any more formula, I just refused to open my mouth for the bottle again. Likewise for the baby food, and even for the first while of my "grown-up food" days.

So, what happened? Why is it that now, I have no idea when I am "full" until after I've gotten too full? Why is it that I no longer have any sense of portion control, and how is it that I can eat several slices of pizza and not stop after 2?

I blame greed. My greed and society's greed - the greed that says that we deserve to get as much as we can, the greed that says we haven't gotten a "deal" until we've received the biggest portion possible for the least amount of our money, and the greed that just will not relent from day to day.

Think about it. Is the "better value" at McDonald's the wilting salad costing $6.00, or the super-size combo meal at the same price? Do we feel "ripped off" when we pay $35 for an entree that only covers 1/4 of the plate, and do we feel we got a good deal when the entree overflows the plate? At the end of a hard week, do we not rationalize that we are entirely justified to a full pint of ice cream (or a pizza, or a bag of chips) for having survived the week?

It really does boil down to being greedy, and wanting more than we need, and it's not even about food anymore. I think that as a whole, our society has become overindulgent and self-centered. Some of us use food as our outlet of greediness, while others indulge excessively in TV, or computer/video gaming, or alcohol, or collecting shoes and handbags, or hoarding money, or you name it. And we want more, don't we? We are never satisfied with a little bit, or a little bite. We want the whole thing and as much of it as we can get our chubby hands on.

This revelation, though possibly not new, is a sobering reminder that we do need to take responsibility for our greediness, and commit ourselves to living more moderately (and with some modicum of self-control). Certainly, I for one am more determined to watch my portions and pay attention to the Little Miss Feed-Me inside my head. I challenge you, too, to fight off the greedy monster inside of you.


4 comments:

Justice~! said...

Interesting sychronicity between the pro-ana and this post! My wife, as always, is a literary genius.

I resent being labelled with the "greed" moniker - is it really wrong to have 2 12" pizzas, a Wendy's Spicy Chicken and a litre of ice cream for dessert? Sometimes I gots needs baby!!!

Ontario Emperor said...

Part of this may be impatience rather than greed. It takes some time for our bodies to tell us that they are full, but if we're rapidly stuffing food down our mouths, the signal comes too late.

I've already failed the challenge - I just got Oreos from the vending machine a few minutes ago...

Wobbly*Bits said...

So true! I tend to eat as if someone is going to grab the food from me if I haven't eaten it and then I might not get another meal for days. I have to stop myself or force myself to pause between bites. No idea why I'm in such a huge hurry...

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Well, I can proudly say I limited myself to one mere cup of my yummiest pasta ever. THAT was a challenge and if I could resist more pasta, there's gotta be hope for everyone else. ;)

PS - I am also a fast eater and a quick chewer; I can down a bite after just 3 chews (max = 9) and my siblings often watch in amazement because they think that food should be pureed in their mouths before swallowing.